marie1380jenning

Do you have to pay to file your state taxes

ErinH

In the Online products there is no charge for a state return in the Free Edition. There is a charge for the state return in the Deluxe, Premier, Self Employed and Live products. You can review those product offerings here: https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

In the Desktop CD/Download products there is a charge for a state return in the Basic product. 1 state is included in the Deluxe, Premier and Home & Business products. You can review those product offerings here: https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

ErinH

kellyj97

But WHY do I have to pay for my state taxes now?

It stands to reason that if I have to pay for your deluxe service that I shouldn't have to pay extra for something which would ordinarily no cost anything, or at the very least have the option to select which services I choose individually.

To that end, customers should be able to degrade from Deluxe to free if they so choose WITHOUT having to clear and restart. 

kaylyn2

Y'all are sneaky b***tards.  I can't believe I just paid $40 dollars to receive less service. I hate the feeling of being punked. Not that the other companies would be more honest, but for ethics sake I have to switch for next year. Can I make a new account without the deluxe?

sofia_misicu

Why do I have to pay $50 to submit state taxes if I chose the Delux for federal. What is the difference between the state free edition and this one. Something feels odd here..

DavidD66

The Free edition of TurboTax Online is only for "simple" tax returns, without any additional schedules.  If you don't qualify for the Free federal tax return, you can't file a free state tax return.

BearDown808

I paid $45 for the Arizona state tax version in TurboTax, why am I being charged $25 to e-file AZ state taxes? That should be in stated in big bold letters that I'll be charged at e-filing before purchasing the state tax version. I've been a loyal Turbotax hard copy buyer for years and years now. I'm a little upset at not being told about the filing fee before the state purchase.

JeanneLO
Employee TurboTax Specialist

Which product are you using? Most desktop products don't charge to download one state but there is an e-file fee which you can avoid if you mail your state tax return. Please see this for more information: Is there a fee to e-file my state taxes in the TurboTax CD/Download software?