Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Coinbase csv file not compatible on turbotax? No Headers Found In This File error?

Heads up, we only support CSV files from partners. Your Coinbase file will be compatible as long as it's under 2251 transactions.

I only have 154 transactions but, all I get is an error message - No headers found - I've opened the csv file and deleted the extra junk info at the top so that the column headers are at the very top and it still doesn't read them.

Anyone figured out how to fix this?

Lloyd
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

313 Replies

Coinbase csv file not compatible on turbotax? No Headers Found In This File error?

I also tried the same thing and also tried limiting to only one type of coin (like Bitcoin only) which was < 2251 transactions. I ensured it was still saved in CSV format (instead of excel after I edited it) and I still get the "no headers" error.

Am unsure what else needs to be done here....

NashayLO
Intuit Alumni

Please make sure you are following these steps exactly, then it should work, How do I get a CSV file from Coinbase? - TurboTax

If this process does not work, please contact us by phone for additional assistance, What is the TurboTax phone number?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JGLU
Level 2

I have followed instructions on downloading as a csv file. When I try to upload to turbo tax, i keep getting error 

"we couldnt upload your csv" " please make sure your csv file has columns for currency name, purchase date, cost basis, date sold and proceeds then try uploading again????

dfwhodat

There is no longer a "gains/loss" calculator on Coinbase, unfortunately. Seems they are trying to get people to signup for the overpriced crypto tax website they partner with. 

jcorraini

This is not an option anymore. I downloaded from CoinTracker and it doesn't work either.

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

@jcorraini Sometimes hidden formatting on a .csv file can create issues. As you may know, you can only enter 50 transactions manually, or you can import up to 2251 transactions. If you have more than that to report, you can use a private accountant to reconcile your crypto transactions and aggregate them for your return, or you can reconcile them on your own with a transaction aggregator. There are many services online that can help you aggregate your transactions and help you calculate your gains and losses. 

"Expert Alumni GiseleD"

Here is also another helpful tip:  Using CoinTracker, downloading Capital Gains CSV report AND uploading a CSV format specified as "Windows Comma Separated" (.csv) was the key.  I use a Mac and the file in the original *.csv file extension must be saved to "Windows Comma Separated" (.csv) for it to be accepted.

"scarF_coin New Member"

I do have this issue too, and no matter what I do or changes I make in the file, it keeps saying no header found.

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see this TurboTax FAQ for information on Coinbase: How do I get a CSV file from Coinbase?

If you continue to experience issues downloading, please contact Coinbase directly.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Please assess the issue rather than pointing your users to to documentations that no longer solves the issue. and update your coinbase csv parser codebase while your at it to support coinbase recently modified formatting.

The features of directly importing transactional information from brokerages (ie robinhood) or crypto-exchanges (ie coinbase) is the main reason I pay for your service.

1.) The Headers in the CSV coinbase populates and field ordering are not compatible with what was supported in 2019. It is not difficult to add logic if, then, else, etc... to your csv reader codebase to discern between the old CSV and new CSV format and load accordingly.

The new Coinbase csv headers are:

TimestampTransaction TypeAssetQuantity TransactedUSD Spot Price at TransactionUSD SubtotalUSD Total (inclusive of fees)USD FeesNotes

The headers your (TurboTax) csv parser requires are:

Currency NamePurchase DateCost BasisDate SoldProceeds

2.) The directions your staff responds to all customers on this feed are not up-to-date. This one --> FIX IT!! How do I get a CSV file from Coinbase? - TurboTax

This issue has been logged in your message board for nearly two weeks during tax season. Why hasn't a bugfix been released by now? At least be transparent with your customers and acknowledge the limitation and that you are working on it.

@bannedrock 

You kind of answered it yourself... 2 weeks... in tax season.  That's not a very long time during the busiest time of the year.  A bit much to ask for a total reprogram in a short time.  They work on the issues in an order, I am sure, likely to include the ones that affect the most users first.  This isn't one of those. 

cmchance

I'm having the exact same problem.  The FAQ does not help or provide the right guidance.  There is a disconnect between what turbotax wants and what it's partner (coinbase) provides in the CSV.  Bannedrock described it very well.  The headers are creating an error because they are not what turbotax expects for the columns.  This is going to be quite time consuming for quite a lot of people.  The premier price is not worth it if I'm going to have to manually calculate all my crypto transactions as I can manually calculate them with other services for a lower cost.  I think this is going to become a more prevalent issue in the next week or so as more people begin running their taxes as various institutions begin providing tax documents for their customers.

jp12345
Returning Member

Absolutely CORRECT - The headers that TurboTax is looking for are NOT Included in the CURRENT Coinbase downloads.

jp12345
Returning Member

Coinbase-PRO is the problem... it does NOT export the same file as Regular-Coinbase does...

And unfortunately, the Regular-Coinbase does NOT see Coinbase-PRO transactions for holdings...

If you are a Coinbase-PRO user then thus far TurboTax cannot do this itself...
- we'll need to use CoinTracker to build the excel sheet for us ;(

Below are the EXACT Headers on both downloads...

- NONE of these headers have what TurboTax is looking for ;(

Coinbase-Regular Headers:

[  Timestamp, Transaction Type, Asset, Quantity Transacted, USD Spot Price at Transaction, USD Subtotal, USD Total (inclusive of fees), USD Fees, Notes   ]

Coinbase-PRO Headers:

[  portfolio, trade id, product, side, created at, size, size unit, price, fee, total, price/fee/total unit   ]

jp12345
Returning Member

JeanneLO, you have a compatibility issue that you dont see yet...

Coinbase is the problem... it does NOT export the file as TurboTax is looking for...

Furthermore, Coinbase-Regular does NOT see Coinbase-PRO transactions for holdings...

Even more of an issue, Coinbase-Regular and Coinbase-PRO export with completely different headers... ;(

Below are the EXACT Headers on both downloads...

- NONE of these headers have what TurboTax is looking for ;(

Coinbase-Regular Headers:

[  Timestamp, Transaction Type, Asset, Quantity Transacted, USD Spot Price at Transaction, USD Subtotal, USD Total (inclusive of fees), USD Fees, Notes   ]

Coinbase-PRO Headers:

[  portfolio, trade id, product, side, created at, size, size unit, price, fee, total, price/fee/total unit   ]

This is a problem, at this point every Coinbase regular/pro user can NOT directly use TurboTax to process their transactions...

I think you should send this up the chain and have your team review this issue/concern.

Thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies