turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cmscarr

Turbox Tax 2017 doesn't install. I get to the "We're ready to install Turbo Tax!" screen but it doesn't install.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Turbox Tax 2017 doesn't install. I get to the "We're ready to install Turbo Tax!" screen but it doesn't install.

Most of the folks with this problem have Windows 10-Pro.  It is "supposed" to be OK with that, but so far only installs easily on W10-Home editions....(one person with W10-Home did report an install problem....).   It is being worked on.

Anyhow, to get around it, everyone with W-10-Pro, so far, has been able to install in compatibility mode under Windows 8.   From  one of the TTX employees:

.....  Rt-click on the installation file  "Under file properties, I changed the compatability mode to Windows 8.  It installed right away, and seems to be working ok."

Then make sure you "Run as Administrator" to install

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

39 Replies
Arunkumar

Sorry that you are facing this issue. Can you please let us know if you are in Win10 Pro?
cmscarr

I'm using Windows 10 Education
cmscarr

Installing the program with Windows 8 compatibility worked!  Thanks SteamTrain!
Arunkumar

Good to know that it worked. Can you please let me know the OS config that you were in? it would be helpful to understand why only few customers are facing this?
cmscarr

OS: Windows 10 Education (64 bit) (version 1709; build 16299.64)
RAM: 8 GB
Processor: Intel Core i5-7200U CPU 2.50Ghz
Arunkumar

@cmscarr Thanks for responding. Glad that the work around helped you. TT TY17 is compatible with Win 10 and maximum no. of customers are on Win10. While most of them are able to successfully install, very few of them are facing issues. Please let me know if you would be able to share more details, which will help us.
1. did you see the progress screen that reached 100 %
2. was there any error shown
3. can you please share the logs if possible, from the location : C:\ProgramData\Intuit\TurboTax\MSI\TY17\Logs

I had this exact installation problem problem and the W8 compatibility mode suggestion solved it. In answer to the questions above:
1. Yes the first progress screen indicating TT was ready to install reached 100%.
2. No errors were shown
3. C:\ProgramData\Intuit\TurboTax\MSI\TY17  There is no folder call Logs under this folder. Maybe because I have installed TT2017 using the recommended answer in this thread??

RAM: 8G
Processor: Intel Core i5-4430 <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="mailto:CPU@3.00GHz">CPU@3.00GHz</a>
Arunkumar

@schwarz_brian thanks for responding. You should be seeing the location as C:\ProgramData\Intuit\TurboTax\MSI\TY17\Logs

I found the Logs folder. There is a 20171119_TTINSTALLER.log from yesterday when TT failed to install. There are seven logs from today 20171120 when TT did install using the W8 Compatibility method.
Arunkumar

@schwarz_brian thanks for responding. Can you please zip the the folder "logs" and share please. Thanks again for responding. It will be super helpful.
Arunkumar

@schwarz_brian Hi Brian. Good Morning. Hope you are doing good. We have reached out to your mail id. Kindly request you to share the logs over mail.
Arunkumar

@schwarz_brian Kindly let us know.
emigh

I have had the same problem, which was resolved using WIN 8 compatibility..  Where do you want me to send the log? Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299
Intel Core i5-3317U @ 1.70GHz
Arunkumar

@emigh Thanks for responding. You can click on Contribute an Answer at the below. You will see an attach files option, please do zip the logs folder and attach it in this forum itself. Thanks again.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies