turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kczap4
Returning Member

Cannot Pay for tax filing, this is getting ridiculous.

I am a US citizen living overseas, and I have tried for the past MONTH to try and pay for my online filing taxes, with a correct PSC address, though every time it is declined. No one is giving a straight answer. I cannot email or call the helpline since I use the free version and can't afford a subscription. Is it my bank that is wrong? Is it something else?

I'm pulling my hair out here!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
maglib
Level 11

@kczap4  as there is rampant overseas scams, this is an IRS requirement.  i do NOT work for TT.

TT Free is for simple returns only. No support is available without payment.  You may want to look into Free filing through the IRS https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-free-file-is-now-available-for-the-2024-filing-season

Yes, you can file federal (IRS) returns if you or your employer has a non-U.S. address. However, there are some restrictions regarding foreign-address returns:

• IRS regulations require a U.S. bank account to receive your tax refund, and you'll need a U.S. bank account (or credit/debit card with a U.S. billing address) if paying additional federal taxes owed.
  • Like many stateside merchants, we require a U.S. billing address to pay for TurboTax if using a credit or debit card.
    • If you're deducting fees from your refund with the optional Pay With My Refund service, you'll need a U.S. or APO/FPO/DPO address.
  • Products like TurboTax Free Edition and TurboTax Easy Extension require a U.S. or APO/FPO/DPO address upon registration.

You can't pay for TurboTax  Online using a foreign credit card.  It should work if you keep a US credit card active.  If you don't have a US credit card but do have a US bank account, you can pay for TT Online from the bank account by contacting customer support.  You will also need a US bank account to receive your refunds by direct deposit or pay the tax you owe by direct debit.

For TT desktop version, purchased as a CD or download and installed on your own computer, you would need a US credit card to buy the program direct from TT.  You might be able to purchase a CD from Amazon or another retailer using a foreign credit card, but I have heard there are restrictions on shipping TT to foreign countries (I have not tested this).  Or you could get a friend in the US to buy the program for you and send you the installer CD by mail, or send you the downloadable installer file by Dropbox or Google Drive or a similar service.

A great tips video: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/general/filing-taxes-while-overseas/L8bP9GN5p

How to contact TT: https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/account-management/contact-turbotax/L2y9...

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
kczap4
Returning Member

I have a Us bank account and a US credit; that is what I've been trying to use all this time. But it's not giving me a straight answer as to why it is wrong just the same check card and address info. Which is know correct.

maglib
Level 11

@kczap4 What is the EXACT worded message you are getting?  

PSC does that mean postal service?  

your cc may be not authorizing the payment, they use 3rd parties,   if you copied and pasted you may have blank spaces that should not be entered. No dashes should be entered.

What FORM is showing errors?

Other suggestions:

UPDATE TT.

Try closing TurboTax, clear your Cache and Cookies, re-open TurboTax and go back

• Double-check you entered the correct two-letter state code
  • Make sure you've entered the ZIP code in either 5-digit or 9-digit format (for example 12345 or 12345-6789)

If your return is that simple, I would just use the IRS free version. Any return that qualifies for TT free can be completed in the IRS version.

***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Does your credit card have a foreign billing address?  This could be the issue.

Have you tried these troubleshooting tips:

1. Enter your credit card manually. (Not using autofill)
  2. Enter your credit card info exactly as you see it on your card, including any abbreviations, punctuation, or middle initials in your name.
  3. Enter your address exactly as shown on your credit card statement from your financial institution.
  4. Make sure that you are using the phone number that your credit card company has on file for you.

If these tips do not help, you can try the following:

• Contact the card issuer at the number on the back of your credit card to verify that the name, phone number, and billing address are on file.
  • Try another card.

Please click here for information on validating your credit card.

Please click here for information if your credit card transaction cannot be completed.

Please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community with additional information or questions or click here for help in contacting Turbo Tax Support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
maglib
Level 11

@kczap4  What is the EXACT MESSAGE?

Does the CC you are using have that same address as I said it could be the cc company rejecting it because it doesn't match.   Any spaces or dashes or periods can cause errors.

Did you follow all the above steps?  For a free version of TT by now I would have started over and rekeypunched everything if you know it all matches.  As I said the IRS provides a free version too.

You didn't by any chance use someone elses account in turbotax and enter your information? You also must have your own.

kczap4
Returning Member

I am using my own turbotax account. The same message that appears each time i try is "please make sure you CVV Card Number and Address are correct", which they are.

maglib
Level 11

@kczap4 You are having issues related to TurboTax Billing Address Verifier:

-some folks appeared to find a work around by When entering your card info unclick "save billing address" enter your name, everything that is your information EXCEPT the Address for that Enter "123 Main St" all other info is your information.   Or an old address worked for some, and another entered 561 Main St to get it to work. Go into My Info & change just your physical address to 123 Main St. Leave the city, state & zip the same. Enter your credit card info & it should go through. Then you can go back & change back your address to the correct one.

Follow these steps to update your TurboTax account email, phone number, mailing address, or password:

1. Sign in to your Intuit account.
  2. To update your user ID, password, email address, or phone number, select Sign in & security.
  3. To update your name, date of birth, address, or occupation, select Profile.

-There may be internet security on your laptop and the address entered or cc data is removed when attempting to submit it.  Try disabling your internet browsers pop up blocker before getting to the payment page.

-There may be a freeze/hold placed on your TT account

-your cc company may be rejecting the payment , have you called them?

-have you completely updated the software and your web browser?

-did you to clear web history, cookies, cache, and using a different browser"

-did you try another cc

-did you manually enter your information, not using copy paste or a auto fill in method and ensure no blanks or other characters?

-You are limited on the number of returns that can be processed from a single laptop or ip address by the IRS. Have you submitted other returns from this location?

I'm going to try to get TT to help if you worked through all the above but, honestly using the Federal Free edition my be your best bet.  If any of the above helps, let me know, if not you will probably need to submit a diagnostic file to TT which removes personal information.  

I do this for free and I'm trying my best and do see you are not the first with this issue 

kczap4
Returning Member

I am still not able to pay for my online tax filing. I dont know what to do, that same error message keeps popping up.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Step 2 of E-filing Looping   Some TurboTax Online customers may experience a looping behavior during final review or after entering their driver’s license or other ID info in the File section of their return. Some customers may also get the error message "Hmm, looks like we hit a slight snag in this section" in these areas.
We’re currently working to resolve this issue.
For a potential fix, we recommend going back through the three review sections one at a time:
Note: If your TurboTax navigation looks different from what’s described here, learn more.

1. Select Federal from the left menu, then Federal Review to begin the federal review process.
  2. Select State from the left menu, then State Review to begin the state review process.
  3. Select Review from the left menu, then Check my info to begin the final review process.

If the looping behavior continues after following these steps, we recommend filing an extension for your federal and state returns and paying any taxes due before the filing deadline (April 15, 2024). This will help you avoid any late fees or penalties in the event this issue isn't resolved by the deadline.

Also, try clearing your Cache, cookies, and history then reboot and try to e-file again.

Sounds like your computer may be experiencing a loop.  Let's clear your cookies, history and cache' then reboot.

Cookies are small files that temporarily store data on your computer. We use them to personalize your experience so you see information you already entered and not items that are irrelevant or repetitive.

On rare occasions, they may make your browser think you already did something that you still need to do. To fix that, you'll need to delete (clear) the cookies from your browser.

Each browser has a slightly different method for deleting cookies. Choose the browser you're using:

Related Information:

@kczap4 

rick147
Returning Member

it's unbelievable isn't it ?-been on the phone with them 3 straight nights .they had me start completely over with a new account log in   i did it all this morning once again credit card rejected  i have only talked to one representative that has a clue   one emailed me the case was resolved??????

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Call Customer Service and tell them you have a "block payment issues, possibly due to billing or an invalid license" and the agent should be able to get you to the right place. Here is how you reach customer service:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

kczap4
Returning Member

I cannot contact the turbotax customer service number, as once again i like in the UK.

I reside in the US and have had the same issue!!! I have done my taxes using TURBOTAX for decades and I am EXTREMELY disappointed!! After weeks of attempts and speaking with customer supoort, I continuously have had the same issue. Every time I attempt to make payment to process my efile transmission, I get a window pop up stating:

Hmm... it looks like we’ve hit a slight snag

Please try again or check back in a bit.

Try Again

For answers to your questions, visit us at TurboTaxsupportcom

If you can’t reach us online, give us a call at 1-800-4-INTUIT, and select the option for TurboTax.

I AM SUPER IRRITATED AND FRUSTRATED!!!! And a month has gone by and I am still struggling to efile my return!
rick147
Returning Member

I think I can help    when I first used my credit card it was accepted but the site (or me) didn't save my return.I had to start a whole new account and start over BUT  -    I finally was able to find the issue-just for the heck of it I went to my one credit card account (site had rejected three)  and looked at my profile       the address for my credit card was different then the one I was using on Turbo Tax    .I went back into Turbo Tax entered the new address and it worked. Now after 5 hours on the phone maybe someone should have said go back to your cc site and double check your address.I do notice that one of the turbo tax folks responded above with this :

Enter your address exactly as shown on your credit card statement from your financial institution

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies