Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can I still claim my son as a dependent if he made 19,000$?

@Landon2 wrote:

My daughter is filing taxes this year and I am claiming her on my taxes will she get her money from her W-2 

If she is eligible she will get a tax refund on her tax return but she Must indicate on her return that she can be claimed as a dependent.

How old is she?  How much did she make?

You don't include their income on your return. It would only go on their return if they are required to file one.  They don't have to file if they only have Social Security or W2 income under 12,550 but can file to get back any withholding taken out in boxes 2 or 17.  But you don't get boxes 4 or 6 back.

To file a separate return for a dependent in the Online version you need to set up a new account separate from yours.  Online is only good for one return per account.  You can use the same email address for 5 accounts.  You can probably use the Free Edition

Https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894512-how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-online 

Be sure on the dependent return you check the box that says you can be claimed on someone else’s return.  If their only income is W2 and under 12,400 they do not have to file a return except to get back any withholding taken out.

Filing requirements for a dependent

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/children-dependents/help/do-i-need-to-file-my-own-taxes-if-i-m-a-d...

Landon2

Thank you 

makay2020
Returning Member

If I was 19 and turned 20 in December of 2021 was not a full time student and made over $24,000 can my dad still claim me? I lived with him for over half the year(8 months almost 9). he was able to claim me for 2020 because I didn't make enough money and was in high school until June 2020 but for 2021 can he claim me even though I worked full time with no school and made $24,000?? 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. If I was 19 and turned 20 in December of 2021 was not a full time student and made over $24,000 can my dad still claim me? 

A.  No.  Because you are over 18 and not a full time student, you cannot be a Qualifying Child dependent.  Because your income was over $4300, you cannot be a Qualifying Relative dependent. Those are the only two types of dependents.

See full dependent rules at: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/Rules-for-Claiming-a-Dependent-on-Your-Tax-Ret...

My daughter turned 19 on June 2021. she was a full-time high school student jan,feb,march,april,may  2021. she made 21,000 in income 2021 can I claim her? She paid nothing toward her own support 

@Hayleelogan12 wrote:

My daughter turned 19 on June 2021. she was a full-time high school student jan,feb,march,april,may  2021. she made 21,000 in income 2021 can I claim her? She paid nothing toward her own support 

You should be able to claim her as a dependent under the Qualifying Child rules if she meets all the requirements.

To be a Qualifying Child -

1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.
2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year, (b) under age 24 at the end of the year and a full-time student or (c) any age and permanently and totally disabled.
3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year. Temporary absences while away at college are considered living with you.
4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.
5. If the child meets the rules to be a qualifying child of more than one person, you must be the person entitled to claim the child as a qualifying child.
6. The child must be a U.S. citizen or U.S., Canada or Mexico resident for some portion of the year.
7. The child must be younger than you unless disabled.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes, you can claim her, if she still lives with you and did not pay more than half her own support.  Being in high school, full time, for parts of 5 months counts as a full time student for the year.

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and standard ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit, student status, a relationship test and residence test.

A child of a taxpayer can still be a “Qualifying Child” (QC) dependent, regardless of his/her income, if:

1. He is under age 19, or under 24 if a full time student for at least 5 months of the year, or is totally & permanently disabled
  2. He did not provide more than 1/2 his own support. Scholarships are excluded from the support calculation
  3. He lived with the parent (including temporary absences such as away at school) for more than half the year

So, it doesn't matter how much he earned. What matters is how much he spent on support. Money he put into savings does not count as support he spent on him self.

The support value of the home, provided by the parent, is the fair market rental value of the home plus utilities & other expenses divided by the number of occupants.

The IRS has a worksheet that can be used to help with the support calculation. See: http://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf

What forms would I show on my tax statement that our adult son is dependent on us for full time support 

@Laurieban1313 There is not a special form to include on your tax return if you claim your son as a dependent.   You claim your son as a dependent in My Info and enter his Social Security number.

You have not provided any details for us---so we do not know if you can claim him or not.   There are two kinds of dependents---qualifying child and qualifying relative.   

WHO CAN I CLAIM AS A DEPENDENT?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, or fiancé (etc.) as a dependent on your 2022 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They're related to you.
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They're a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They're under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).
    • No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children.
  • They lived with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).
  • They didn't provide more than half of their own support for the year.

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They're a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They lived with you the entire year (exceptions apply).
  • They made less than $4,400 in 20222.
  • You provided more than half of their financial support.

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them. There may be other tax benefits you can get when you claim a dependent.

Related Information:

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies