turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can I efile my 2020 return today 1/12/2022?

@mariagonzales   Yes you can still efile from Online version or Desktop program.   I don't understand what problem you are having.  But you can only efile a current year 2021 return.   I have a feeling you efiled your 2020 return now in January 2022.   In that case it was efiled as your 2021 return not 2020.  So it thinks you already filed 2021 and won't let you file your real 2021 return.

Contact Customer Service
5am-5pm Pacific Time
Monday-Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

How could they not be done processing it after a year? 

That can't be very common if it has never happened to me before.

Sorry Turbo Tax can only efile the current year returns.  Some other places like a local CPA or EA might be able to efile prior years.  And maybe from the professional Intuit accountant programs.   But not here in Turbo Tax.   
@Critter-3 

@mariagonzales   Yes it's very common for 2020 returns.   Millions are still waiting for 2020 returns to be processed and to get their refunds.  Even people who filed last February are still waiting and posting here looking for the refund.  You are not alone.

So how are we supposed to know when they are done? So we know how much to put as out AGI?

Sorry you are not understanding me.  Good luck.  Call support

Contact Customer Service
5am-5pm Pacific Time
Monday-Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

@mariagonzales You are very very confused.   Hover your mouse over the Level 15 people's names in this thread  or click their username to see how many people we have helped.   VolvoGirl is not trolling.   She is trying to help you.  She has many years of experience and expertise with this software.  See your other thread for some other attempts to help you.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If your 2020 return was accepted after April 15 last year the IRS doesn't have the AGI on file in the right server/database to lookup to verify you.  So you have to enter zero AGI to efile 2021.   That happened to a lot of people.

What error message do you get when you try to efile 2021?  Why is it rejecting?  It could be another reason.   Like someone you don't know made a mistake and accidentally entered a wrong ssn on their return and entered your ssn by mistake.  

When did you file 2020?

@MissEEE333 This has become a very confusing thread because two users are posting to it at almost the same time.   It seems that you are trying or want to e-file a previous year tax return.   Your situation sounds dreadful and we sympathize,   but e-filing is closed forever for 2020 or earlier year returns.   You simply cannot e-file a 2020 federal or state return using TurboTax now.   The ability to e-file from TurboTax software ended a couple of months ago.   Only some paid tax professionals who have professional software can still e-file a 2020 return.

The only way to file a 2020 return is to print it, sign and date it in ink and mail it----and what you might have to do in order to achieve that will not be pleasant.  You do have three years from the filing deadline to file the return if you are getting a refund.   But of course the longer you wait to mail it, the longer it will be until you can get your refund.

Your 2021 return can be e-filed.   Since you seem not to have filed 2020 yet, the IRS is not going to have a 2020 AGI in the system for you.   So, when you want to e-file 2021, use "zero" as the AGI in order to e-file 2021.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@mariagonzales You cannot be helped in this thread.   Seek help from customer support.

MissEEE333
Returning Member

I agree it has become very... cluttered. One reason I asked my own question was so that there wouldn't be a mess. Oh, well. I tried.

Thanks for your detailed help. I appreciate it. 

Thank you, too @VolvoGirl 

Have a good night. 

What ended up happening? I'm in the same boat, and it says I can do so.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

You can't Efile a 2020 return, but you can mail it in.  Here's a link where you can download TurboTax for 2020 to prepare your return. 

This article has detailed info on Filing Prior Year Tax Returns. 

@DolceDolce 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I read online that you can e-file a 2020 tax return in 2023, but just not through Turbo Tax.  Through an MEF provider or ETP.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies