turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there a way to avoid one of the $40 fees when filing federal return?

Why is there an additional $40, so total of $80, just for filing federal and can that be avoided?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Did you choose to have your TurboTax fee deducted form your federal refund?  Avoid the extra $40 fee by paying upfront with a credit/debit card before you file.

REMOVE REFUND PROCESSING FEE

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900517-how-do-i-remove-refund-processing-fees-in-turbotax-online-...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

There is also The Turbo Tax Free File program which is free for federal and state.  And has more forms than the Federal Free Edition, like Schedules A, B, C , D, E, F, EIC, H, K-1, SE,  etc.

NOTE:  You will have to setup a new account with a new username and new password or it will take you back to regular Turbo Tax.

To qualify for the Free File website  you just need to meet one of these 3 things.

AGI $36,000 or less.

Active duty military with AGI of $69,000 or less

OR qualify for EIC (earned income credit.)

In order to use the Free File program, you have to start it at a special website.  Click on the Orange button I Qualify, Let's get Started and set up a NEW account

https://freefile.intuit.com/

prm42860

why im i beening charged $60.00

Cynthiad66
Employee Tax Expert

You can view your fees by following the instructions below. Per @AlanT222

1. After signing in to TurboTax, open or continue your return.
  2. Select Tax Tools on the left side of the screen and then Tools.
  3. Tools Center box will pop up on your screen.
  4. Select the My Fees box on the right.

If your TurboTax fees are higher than expected, you can reduce them by removing add-ons:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rhc

As to the question of whether we used standard or itemized deduction in 2019, Turbo Tax says I can tell by looking at line 9 of our return. If over $24,000.00, we used itemized. Our 2019 line 9 shows $27,000.00, yet Turbo Tax insists we used standard deduction last year.  What to do?

Were you 65 or older in 2019?   If so, your standard deduction for a joint return was $27,000

2019 Standard Deduction Amounts

Single $12,200   (+ $1650 65 or older)

Married Filing Separate  $12,200   (+ $1300 if 65 or older)

Married Filing Jointly $24,400   (+ $1300 for each spouse 65 or older)

Head of Household $18,350  (+ $1650 for 65 or older)

Look on line 9 of your 2019 Form 1040 to see your itemized/standard deduction amount

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I have opened my return and there is no Tool Center there to open.  I can't tell if I will be charged the extra processing fee if I pay with a credit or debit card.

@freewheeler23 wrote:

I have opened my return and there is no Tool Center there to open.  I can't tell if I will be charged the extra processing fee if I pay with a credit or debit card.

If you are using the TurboTax online editions and are actually accessing the online tax return then the Tax Tools link will be on the left side of the online program screen.

To answer your question - If you select to pay the TurboTax account fees with a credit/debit card there are no fees when paying with your card.

The Refund Processing Fees/Pay with Refund option are where there is a $39 service charge for using that option.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies