Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

j g
Level 2

2022 return done from CD. Need to review with Turbo Tax advisor as have in previous years.

I've done my 2022 return via Premier CD. I still see [send]"Screenshare Code" and "Send Tax File to Agent" under the Online tab.

I've been able to talk with an expert, free, every year for the last 20 years or so - used TT every one of these years. We do the big screen share every time (not just viewing in Turbo Tax). Got all these 1099's and such.... Works, never spent more than 20 -30 minutes, done for the year. Just to clear a few errors, question or 2 on something else.

Looking everywhere around Turbo Tax for how to get an agent again. Problem. Looks like TT is taking  this to maybe online. You get to talk if you file online etc. "Pay only when you file" etc. If this is the only way to talk to a tax advisor like before - I need that - guess I have to go with it best as possible.

Questions:

1. How do I translate my current CD return to an online return? It looks like, to be able to talk with an TT tax advisor, my return needs to be through the online system. 
2. Where then is my return stored?

3. Can you also get a pdf version of your online return, as the CD software allowed?
4. Cost? EXTRA cost? I shouldn't have to pay for TT again m.o., but whatever's [woke] fair is fair I guess.

5. Just curious: can the online filing system download a broker's 1099 like the CD?
6. Guide me please to how to connect with a TT tax advisor for my short error review and a question or two I do have for this 2022 return I just did.

#6 is everything I need, and I'm currently sitting on the CD-generated completed return (a few errors need discussing with a TT tax advisor).

This took me quite by surprise this year; it feels like an awkward step backward from here though, comparing my past years' imMENSE satisfaction with the TT provisions.

Whatever, please guide me to it. FYI, most of my errors in the return concern stock buys and sells.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

2022 return done from CD. Need to review with Turbo Tax advisor as have in previous years.

Please feel free to contact Customer Support so you can speak with someone who can assist you.

@j g 

j g
Level 2

I don't want to speak too soon on this transition to Live, but does/can Live import last year's return info from my computer where my last year's return (done in CD) is stored.

Because, in part, extremely important, I've got running short & long term losses, from last year still standing at well over $200,000, out of year 2001 or so, and the specifics of the data should absolutely be imported into the next year's return - presumably the Live return since I'm being forced to switch to Live to get a TT tax advisor.

TT needed to have given us CD users a warning about this cutting off advisors using the CD starting with 2023 (doing 2022 taxes). You should fix and make allowances for the extreme disruption here or frankly be liable for a negligence-disruption costing huge amounts of wasted time to people like me.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If you switch to the live, they will still import from the prior year's return as it is needed. 

Please let us know if we can assist you further. @j g 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
j g
Level 2

Live "will import from the prior year's return" that was done on a CD on my desktop computer? This is important.

Please tell where to begin the switch from CD to live. Do I have to do the whole return over again in live? (I'd just finished up with the CD and few errors left for a Turbo Tax advisor.)

Do I have to pay all over again?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Yes it would cause the return to need to be redone. It is a separate fee for Live than the desktop. If you need to change versions, you can always give us a call here to request a refund. @j g 

j g
Level 2

The big question yet:

Say I start from scratch now doing the online return.

Will I be able to import last year's return data into this online effort/return BY IMPORTING

THE RETURN ON MY DESKTOP PC THAT WAS DONE IN THE CD?

You see, I've still got running ~>200,000 short term + long term losses that came out of  

about year 2001. This reduces every year by about 3000 unless a year adds certain losses.  The CD version I've been using for 20 years has been fetching the carry forward every year from the previous year's return, and working the figures in with the new year. I'm going to loathe having to do this manually in the online return. The previous paragraph: the big question. Thank you.

You will need to have the .tax2021 file on your computer.  If you used the Desktop program last year here’s How to transfer into the Online version, expand the blue link if you used the CD/download last year........

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-...

If you already started an online return you will have to clear it and start over to transfer.  How to clear and start over

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-onli...

FYI - If you used the Desktop program before you may not like the online version.  It has less features and no Forms Mode.  You can only do 1 return.  Your return is only saved online so be sure to save both the .tax2022 data file and the pdf file to your computer when you are done.  In case you need to amend in the future or if you need a copy to get a loan or something.  You might not be able to access your online return when you need a copy.

@j g You can transfer the 2021 tax data file from your computer to the 2022 online return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for transferring 2021 tax data to the 2022 online tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/import-export-data-files/transfer-last-y...

j g
Level 2

VolvoGirl said:

"Your return is only saved online so be sure to save both the .tax2022 data file and the pdf file to your computer when you are done."

Since taking several days to do my return, can I save-as-go, these 2 files? Where are they located, also?

Now the bigger question:  Is there ANY way, a preferred CD user, to be able to invoke a Turbo Tax advisor, paid for or not, staying as a CD-return generating user? That's all I really care about at this point. 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

With the online version, each time you logout it will save as you go. So once you log back in, it will then ask if you want to pick up where you left off. 

There is no way to have assistance using the CD version, as it is only available in online version. @j g 

j g
Level 2

Where are the .tax2022 data file and the pdf file you mentioned located?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

They would be stored locally on your PC. Depending on your operating system, the below TurboTax Help Articles will assist you with locating your tax data file on your PC. 

j g
Level 2

Let me ask additionally: Once I'm all done doing my return online, I presume I can print a copy to mail in

by regular mail?

@j g wrote:

Let me ask additionally: Once I'm all done doing my return online, I presume I can print a copy to mail in

by regular mail?

Yes, you can.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.  Then click on Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies