To find your tax data file:
- From the menu, select the Spotlight (magnifying glass) icon, and then type .tax in search field.
- Tax return files will appear in the Documents section.
- The default name for tax files is the primary taxpayer's name followed by the 2-digit tax year.
- If you don't see your tax return, select Show All in Finder at the bottom of the Spotlight search list.
- In the new window, go to List view by selecting the button at the top that looks like 4 horizontal lines in a stack. In the Kind column, look for TurboTax...Tax Return.
You can also use the Finder (at the bottom of the screen on the menu bar).
- Select the Finder.
- Search for .tax files.
Important: To open your tax file in TurboTax, you'll need the the same version of TurboTax as the tax file's year. For example, you'll need to open your 2021 tax return in TurboTax 2021. Lost your software?
Note: We can't retrieve tax returns that were prepared in TurboTax CD/Download software because your data is stored locally on your computer's hard drive. This is the case even if you e-filed. E-filing doesn't create copies on our servers.