Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2021 TurboTax Premier CD Task Bar does not work (File, Edit, View, Tools,Online, Help)

When you click on File, the drop down menu will not display.  Tried about 20 times and finally got it to appear. I need the File drop down menu.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times and restarted my computer and it did not fix.   I contacted TT 3 times and they said contact your 3rd party you bought it from and get a new cd, which I have done.  But my dilemma which is several things, I have an unfiled 2021 tax return and if I uninstall the 2021 Premier TT using Windows uninstall programs, I think I need to uninstall the "Program Files x86\TurboTax\Individual 2021 because that is where the license code is stored I believe. The reason I say this is because when I reinstalled twice it never asked me to re-enter the license code.  Is that correct?  Also, what do I do about my unfiled completed tax return, do I delete and reenter everything or will the new Premier cd with a new license code recognize the unfiled completed tax return and I can pickup where I left off? AS I SAID, I have called TT 3 taxes and this issue seems to be too complicated for them to resolve.  I even had one person at TT to tell me she couldn't hear and would call me back, didn't happen though. Please be detailed about explaining what to do, I am a novice.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

2021 TurboTax Premier CD Task Bar does not work (File, Edit, View, Tools,Online, Help)

When you re-install your software you will need the license code from the new CD. Before you uninstall your program, please create a backup of your tax data file that you can import if needed. The below help article will assist with this. 

How do I back up my tax file in the TurboTax CD/Download software?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You responded but your reply says back up my tax file and you sent a link how to but as I said before I cannot access the File menu because the drop down does not work, so your solution is not helping me :

1. From the File menu in the upper-left corner of TurboTax, choose Save As (Windows) or Save (Mac).
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support and request to speak to a tech support agent who can assist with this issue. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

In my posting I said I had called TurboTax 3 times for assistance and that my problem appeared to be more complicated than the persons I spoke with could handle.  That was why I posted on the community support website hoping someone with experience would respond with a solution.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Please follow the instructions here to adjust the size of your screen, this can allow things to look normal and the menu show as it should. 

When you re-download the software, you can select the saved return and continue where you left off. 

I dont believe you read my post.  You should not respond before fully reading the problem, this is an injustice to the community help system.

My problem remains the same. This must be a TurboTax Premier problem and they have not addressed the issue.  And how do they find out about this issue is unknown to me. When I uninstall TT it does not wipe the registry of the old license key. I know this because I used a new cd to reinstall but it does not ask for a new license code. I have been through this process 6 plus times so I know the routine.  I believe when you open the software and it checks for updates you are now linked to  a TT server and it controls but you think you are on your desktop. 

I have spoken with either 4 or 5 support staff and they cannot help. One responded that TT knows there is a problem and can I hold off to March 18 to file and they will email me a fix.  He said there was an announcement on the afternoon of March 4 about this problem.  Another TT support person agreed, said she found the announcement and stated it was a TRANSMISSION PROBLEM IF YOU HAVE STOCK TRANSACTIONS OF $5,000 OR MORE. I asked for the announcement number and more details and it was not given.  Is this so? I have no idea but I do know TT has a problem and it is affecting me greatly in trying to do my taxes and with no help in site.  You try calling the support line.

I'm having the same problem as well.   I was told this problem is showing up with other users and given the following investigation number INV-19246

mdurnwald

I have the SAME problem.

Was this ever resolved?

Carl
Level 15

This sounds like a mouse issue. Have you tried another mouse?

If anything, open the TTX program and ensure it has the "focus".  Then press ALT-F and that will open the File drop down menu. Up-Down arrow keys will navigate the open menu. Left-Right arrow keys will navigate the menu bar.  Make your selection, the press the enter key to "click" that menu selection.

mdurnwald

My mouse works fine all all other menu options within TT.

Alt-F performs the same as using the mouse.  It will sit there for about 30 seconds & usually a very faint (hard-to-read) menu will appear.  However, you CAN'T select any of the choices (using either the mouse or arrow keys).

I'm able to work around this via shortcut keys (CTRL-S to save, etc) or finding the functionality in other parts of the program (printing to PDF, filing,etc.)

Same problem in a 2022 return 

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support and request to speak to a tech support agent who can assist with this issue. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@JGabala 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies