turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo tax not allowing additional property tax entry

When I jump to Property tax to enter my property tax paid on my home, a blue tear shaped bubble appears on the entry box.  I can select the box but it will not accept typing the amount after the $ dollar sign.  What is wrong?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Try the following.  

1. Select the Personal tab and select Deductions & Credits
  2. If you have already input information, you should be able to see the section titled Your Home
  3. Select Property Taxes - start
  4. You will see the following screen:

Property tax input

Do not enter the information using $.  Just put your number in.

This will then pull into the applicable tax forms. 

Please be aware the overall itemized deduction allowed for taxes is limited to  $10,000.  Anything above this amount is not deductible.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I can't enter my property tax either.  A blue tear bubble immediately appears when I touch my screen to enter the amount and no number will type in the window.  I'm not trying to enter a $ sign, just the numbers.  I called turbo Tax and they said my computer might need to have the system updated, so I did that.  Still cannot enter deductions.  Help!!!!!!

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@cfreisleben You could try to Uninstall TurboTax for Windows and then Reinstall TurboTax for Windows, to see if that fixes the issue. If the problem persists, please contact customer service, start by clicking on Contact Us Answering the questions will help to ensure that your call is properly routed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@cfreisleben 

???  A "$" is what you see?  or a "$0" ?

there's a solution if it's a $0 that you can't change

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

It was an absurd fix that I discovered purely by chance ... it wouldn’t allow me to enter any numbers when I used the touch screen.  If I used the mouse or mouse pad, I could enter the numbers.  Aargh!!!

I have tried everything suggested and still no luck.  The $ sign is already there and can't be deleted.  Extremely frustrating since otherwise I'd be finishing up and now don't know what to do.  I've even tried the cache suggestion, all to no avail.  

@JeannePeterson 

Which problem?  there are two different ones being delved into here

1)  You don't delete the $ sign....you only need to deal with what comes after.  AND  only the "$0" (on a windows Desktop) has a separate solution, not being talked about here (yet...until you describe your system & software further if #2 below doesn't apply to you)

2)  Desktop software? or Online software? 

....a)    Deleting cache won't do anything for the Desktop software....but for the "Desktop" software.

BUT....b)  IF you are using a touchscreen/tablet, you can't select and make the entry on a touchscreen  (as noted by @cfreisleben   )  you need to get a mouse to select the field, or use an attached keyboard touch-pad  to select the field and then make the entry.  (or log out and use a different computer with mouse/touchpad.)  I confirmed that annoying situation with my Surface Pro 4.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
BUSHEYJM

Turbo tax does not allow me to put numbers into entry box- only shows a large teardrop outside the box

@BUSHEYJM 

Try double-clicking in the field....there may be a "Supporting Details" worksheet attached to that entry.

jeff117

I had the same problem.  You need to use the mouse and double click the field.  The touchscreen does not work in the entry field.

In the Deductions & Credits section, why is it STILL NOT possible to enter Property Taxes paid and other deductible payment amounts as of Feb 24, 2021? Like many people, we only have a laptop, no PC keyboard or separate external mouse as some well-meaning people suggest as a workaround. A TurboTax fix is required not just for us. Thank you for fixing the TurboTax glitch.

Yeah, I agree with you, but that doesn't get you thru getting the forms done now.

On a tablet, I had no problems opening that screen by double-tapping on that field with my finger...right on the screen.

You can also tap once on the field, then go up to the menu at the top of the screen, tap on "Edit" to open that drop-down menu, the select the "Supporting Details" selection from that menu.

I worked on this problem for 2 days, if your taxes are less than the standard deduction you don't need to enter them. But make sure you enter them manually on the state form.

Why can't I enter an amount when a tear drop appears

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies