turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I add mileage to claim?

Where do I go to deduct mileage
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
RyanH2

You can use the steps below to add mileage used for a W-2 paid job. TurboTax Deluxe is needed to enter employee expenses.

Follow the instructions below to enter your mileage:

1. Select "Federal Taxes" at the top of the page

2. Select the "Deductions & Credits" sub-tab

3. Scroll down to "Employment Expenses" and select "Show More"

4. Select "Start" next to "Job Expenses for W-2 Income"

5. Select "Edit" next to your occupation(Or enter it when asked)

6. Continue forward through the screens answering the questions to enter your vehicle information and to enter mileage

Job-related Expenses

jhalleau

Hi, My wife is a travelling sales rep for a small company. She is not self employed (they issue her a standard W2), but she is not reimbursed for mileage. I am trying to figure out where we enter her mileage info. I followed the above but the only option seems to be for self employed. Is that the correct place to enter her mileage info?   

@jhalleau wrote:

Hi, My wife is a travelling sales rep for a small company. She is not self employed (they issue her a standard W2), but she is not reimbursed for mileage. I am trying to figure out where we enter her mileage info. I followed the above but the only option seems to be for self employed. Is that the correct place to enter her mileage info?   

The answer above was for a prior tax year and is no longer valid.

Employee business expenses, including mileage, are not deductible on a federal tax return due to the tax code changes in effect for tax years 2018 thru 2025.

ivygirl66

I work for the county and did not claim my mileage through them, can I add it to my income taxes this year?

@ivygirl66 If you are a W-2 employee you cannot deduct mileage or any other job-related expenses on your federal return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482873-which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-by-tax-re...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Libsox1

I am a Home Health Aid and I have to travel in order to get to my patients home. I don’t drive or own a car myself. My boyfriend uses his car and takes me to and from whenever he gets the chance. My job gave me a mileage reimbursement on one of my paychecks. Is this something that I have to write down on my taxes? Or am I okay with not reporting it?

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

Depending on how your employer reports the mileage will determine if it is taxable on your tax return.  If it is included as part of your wages, under line 1 of the W-2, you will report the income as it appears on your W-2, which is considered taxable income.  

If the income is considered taxable, you may be able to claim business mileage on your Schedule A under job expenses and certain miscellaneous deductions.  To enter this into TurboTax, you will follow these steps:

1. Click Deductions and Credits
  2. Scroll Down to employment expenses, click show more
  3. Click Start next to Job expenses for W-2 Income
  4. Click Yes
  5. Enter the occupation
  6. Answer questions as they pertain to your work
  7. Under Any vehicle expenses or sales, click yes
  8. Enter vehicle information

For more information on vehicle mileage reimbursements, see the link below:

Vehicle Mileage

@Libsox1 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post