turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is IRS using standard deduction for my 93 year old mother who is legally blind, when Itemized deductions apply as stated by TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why is IRS using standard deduction for my 93 year old mother who is legally blind, when Itemized deductions apply as stated by TurboTax?

Yes - it will be difficult to get through to the IRS. I’m an Enrolled Agent and help people solve their IRS issues.  I use a priority hotline as a Practioner and I too have trouble getting through. 

Are you using TT online? Or desktop?  If desktop you will be able to see all the worksheets and information and ‘probably’ be able to tell what happened.  If TT online it will be more difficult since it limits the ability to see any worksheets.  

I cannot say for sure, and in theory I agree the  TT program should not have let that happen, but I suspect after having helped 1000s of people with their tax returns in the program (I used to work for TT)  there may have been a box that wasn’t checked or some piece of info that was skipped over, causing the issue. 

I can try and help you outside this forum if you’d like.   

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Your 93 y.o. mother who is legally blind has a standard deduction of $15,700 for 2020 assuming she files as Single.

$1650 - over age 65

$1650 - blind

$12,400 - Single

Have you corrected entered all itemized deductions? Did you drop a zero? or enter a decimal point incorrectly?

or perhaps what you have for itemized deductions is before taking into account limitations for medical and taxes or perhaps her standard deduction is larger than her adjusted gross income which would result in a $0 tax 

She meets all of the requirements.   She is also legally blind, makes less thank 48K, and meets all requirements to itemize.  Her itemized deductions  were ignored with a statement from IRS was that she earns too much (not true) and itemized deductions were limited.  The difference is exactly what the standard deductions allows.  She now owes the IRS instead of getting a refund.  This does NOT agree with TurboTax walk through of all questionnaire, which I reviewed again yesterday. 

Schedule A was filled out correctly and entered .

Then  you have to ask the IRS why.  Did they increase her income?  Like maybe the taxable amount of any retirement.  If they increased her income it would also make more of her Social Security taxable and then increase her AGI.

IRS sent letter regarding the amount;

"We limited your total itemized deductions on Schedule A because certain deductions are limited when your adjusted gross income is more than the maximum amount. "

Why wasn't this adjusted in 

Turbo tax if that was the case?

IRS is not answering due to too many calls.  I tried 2 day, 5 hours.

Yes - it will be difficult to get through to the IRS. I’m an Enrolled Agent and help people solve their IRS issues.  I use a priority hotline as a Practioner and I too have trouble getting through. 

Are you using TT online? Or desktop?  If desktop you will be able to see all the worksheets and information and ‘probably’ be able to tell what happened.  If TT online it will be more difficult since it limits the ability to see any worksheets.  

I cannot say for sure, and in theory I agree the  TT program should not have let that happen, but I suspect after having helped 1000s of people with their tax returns in the program (I used to work for TT)  there may have been a box that wasn’t checked or some piece of info that was skipped over, causing the issue. 

I can try and help you outside this forum if you’d like.   

Yes, everything was stated as described.   She still had more itemized deductions deductions than the standard.  I went step by step in TurboTax. 

Did she get a CP2000 notice ?    The itemized deductions could be affected by other issues like missing income  so did the IRS also change the income ?   That would explain the Sch A change. 

I GOT A LETTER FROM THE IRS   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3605673-i-got-a-letter-or-notice-from-the-irs

I AM BEING AUDITED

If you purchased Audit Defense:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2924451-i-bought-max-or-audit-defense-and-now-i-m-being-audited

AUDIT SUPPORT

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

I have a Dell laptop that I use to complete my and my Mother's taxes.  I would very much appreciate your help in resolving this if you are able to assist.

I hate to write a check for her without understanding why.

I am waiting to be called back for a Dr. appointment now.  Is there a chance I can discuss this with you late morning or early afternoon tomorrow,  EST time?

Linda Washburn 

[phone number removed] 

Linda Washburn 

[phone number removed] 

STOP posting PII on a PUBLIC forum  since NO ONE legitimate will ever call you  just scammers.  

Please contact support via phone for assistance with this; contact details can be found here

@lindawash49-gmai  - you should never post a personal phone number on a public website. 

You can contact support as the other user stated since you paid for the TurboTax product. It does come with general support. Which generally leads you to the forums here.  You can also go to [removed] and book a 30 minute call with me or because I am legit [removed] and reach me that way.  Good luck.

@CoachKristine    You broke rule #1 on this forum ... no ADS.  Who knows if you are legit just because you have a "website" and you say so ... a scammer would also have these.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies