turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tlblaz56

Turbo Tax will not allow me to enter my property tax for my main personal residence. The curser does not work in this box. How do I enter the property taxes?

I can't enter my property taxes paid on my main residence onto Turbo Tax.  The program will not allow to type in a number.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Turbo Tax will not allow me to enter my property tax for my main personal residence. The curser does not work in this box. How do I enter the property taxes?

Type '1098' in the Search area, then click on 'Jump to 1098'.

You can Edit a current entry, or Delete/Re-Enter a 1098 for your Mortgage Interest.

Click this link for more info on How to Enter Mortgage Interest. 

If your TurboTax Desktop program is not operating properly, you may need to uninstall/reinstall it.  You won't lose any of your data when you Exit and Save your return.

[Edited 3/9/2020 | 5:10 pm]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

25 Replies
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Type '1098' in the Search area, then click on 'Jump to 1098'.

You can Edit a current entry, or Delete/Re-Enter a 1098 for your Mortgage Interest.

Click this link for more info on How to Enter Mortgage Interest. 

If your TurboTax Desktop program is not operating properly, you may need to uninstall/reinstall it.  You won't lose any of your data when you Exit and Save your return.

[Edited 3/9/2020 | 5:10 pm]

Unable to find Home Mortgage Interest worksheet?

Same issue in Turbotax Premier 2020.  Previous answer was bogus as it talked about mortgage interest!  How do I get my property taxes entered?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

To enter property tax:

• Type property tax in Search in the upper right of your screen,
  • Click Jump to property tax,
  • Did you pay property or real estate taxes in 2020? Say Yes.
  • Enter you tax in Property tax on your main home.

If your Form 1098 shows your property tax (or if you know the amount), there is a box in the mortgage interest section to enter property tax. TurboTax will transfer any property tax entered here to the Property (Real Estate) taxes.

Ernie,

The "Property tax on your own main home" field does not accept any values when you try and type it in. You can type in fields below that just fine. I've heard from another Turbotax 2020 user they're having the exact same issue.

Version WinPerReleaseMsi Version [phone number removed] updated 02/21/2021.

Thanks for any guidance.

Turbotax Property Tax.JPG

MGBZ06

Same issue. Closed the program and it updated...reopened and still the same. Can't type in any value and won't allow type in the search box either. Obviously it's the program as I'm typing now without issue.

Does anyone have a resolution for this? 

Rocky2021

I too am seeing this issue.

One work around  has been to 'enter' the property tax value as the value for BOX 10 of one of the 1098's that I received. But this sucks.....

Something in your entries must be causing a block for you to enter your 1098 forms.

If you have multiple 1098s, this could be the issue. 

Please try the following:

1. Follow this link for the 1098 forms.
  2. If necessary, delete your 1098s and begin again from scratch.  

How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online?

• Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  • In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  • In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  • Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.

3.Follow the steps here to enter your property taxes.

If this does not help then please let us know and we will go from there.

Here's more information about claiming property taxes.

@Rocky2021

Try double-clicking on the field in Turbotax. Another list field opens up. Worked for me. Good luck

vector180

In the box where you would enter your "Property tax on your main home" - double click on the "$0" and a new window will open up - Enter the description and the amount - then click "Close". The property taxes you paid should appear in the field. Happy taxes everyone!!!!! NOT!

meenamarigold
Returning Member

Have same issue, I do not have a 1098 to enter.

Double clicking the cell where 0 displayed, does open up a window to enter the info. Am good

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

That happens when you have entered supporting details on a form in a previous year.  When the return is transferred in to the new tax year, the blank form gets transferred in and prevents entry in the corresponding field.   @meenamarigold

When you click on EDIT next to the medical expense entry spot and see a $0 that you can't edit, there are 2 things you can do: 

• Double click in the field and use the Red X (Remove) to remove the supporting details worksheet.  or
  • Go to the top Edit menu (Windows versions only) and choose Add Supporting Details.   Then click on the Red X (Remove) at the top. 

Either one of these should allow you to enter your expenses.   @sjmiracle

searching on 1098 takes me to the form to report mortgage interest paid.  I do not have a mortgage.  I only need to be able to enter property tax on my primary residence.  Note i am using TT Home and Business

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

To go to the section of the tax return to enter your property tax without entering mortgage information, use these steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “property tax” and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to property tax
  • Click on the blue “Jump to property tax” link and enter your information

@markthayer

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies