turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

KKB100-1

Turbo Tax will not allow me to enter my property tax for my main personal residence. The curser does not work in this box. How do I enter the property taxes?

Double clicking the box and bringing up the supporting details worked.   Using the right click on the mouse to bring up the supporting details doesn't work, it has to be a double click.

The people at turbo tax have somehow locked the text box so the only way in is to double click and add supporting details.  It is a real shame that they do not listen to their users or can't seem to understand they locked the text box from direct entry.  This is an software bug and needs to be fixed.  I don't want to hear it is a feature.

Turbo Tax will not allow me to enter my property tax for my main personal residence. The curser does not work in this box. How do I enter the property taxes?

Hi,

Yes, it's a BUG. Right-click and Ctrl+I to "Add Supporting Details" do not work like in other fields. I've been using TurboTax since 1996, and always import my taxes from the previous year, and never had input fields (AKA textboxes) locked. First time I see this in version for tax year 2021. I've DeLuxe installed from the CD on Win 10, and have had this issue on 3 different screens (in Interview mode). I searched the forums and many people have the same issue.

I had it on the Personal Info screen in the "SSN" field, then in another field--I can't remember which now b/c I just went to the form and entered the amount--, and now in "Main residence real estate property taxes paid" field.

Folks at Intuit, you got to go back to the good old times of software development when programs were actually thoroughly tested. The software development now is not as good as it used to be, that is why there are patches almost every single day for some update they rushed the day before that caused a "side effect". There's no testing anymore

The info provided in your "help" section is over two years old!!!

the box to enter my primary residence property tax will not allow me to put in numbers.

If this is because I'm taking the standard deduction, then that should be EXPLAINED!

I've been able to input it previous years and I have not yet decided whether it would be advantageous to itemize. 

Please explain what I need to do.

JulieS
Expert Alumni

There are two places to enter your real estate taxes as an itemized deduction. It can be entered with your 1098-INT in the Mortgage interest section, or it can be entered in the Property taxes section.

To enter it with your 1098-INT, If you are using TurboTax Online:

1. Select Federal from the left side menu.
  2. Select Deductions and Credits toward the upper left. 
  3. Expand the list and scroll down to Mortgage Interest and Refinancing (Form 1098)
  4. Click Edit/Add to the right.
  5. Click Edit to the right of your 1098 entry.
  6. Click Continue until you get to the page that says, Let's get the details from your 1098, at the top. 
  7. Below box 5 you will see a box for Property (real estate) taxes.

Or you can go right to the Property tax section:

1. Select Federal Taxes toward the upper left.
  2. Select Deductions and Credits just below it.  
  3. Select, I'll choose what I work on, on the right.
  4. Scroll down to Mortgage interest. 
  5. Click Start or Update to the right. 
  6. Click Continue until you get to the page that says, Let's get the details from your 1098, at the top. 

To enter it with your 1098-INT, if you are using TurboTax Desktop (download or disc):

4. Scroll down to Mortgage interest. 

Or you can enter it directly in the Property Taxes section. If you are using TurboTax Desktop (download or disc):

4. Scroll down to Property (Real Estate) Taxes.
  6. Please note, if you entered your property taxes in the Mortgage interest section, you will see the amount on this screen, but you will not be able to change it. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
eczopek

I have the same problem with entering my primary residence property tax. The recommendation did not work. I have uninstalled and reinstalled TurboTax.  Any other thoughts?

eczopek

I got it to work using the interest deduction, putting in $1 and then getting through the rest of it.  After it took my real estate taxes, I went back in and deleted the $1 in mortgage interest and it left the real estate taxes in

Did you try double-clicking on the field? It worked for me...hope it works for you. Cheers!

Double-click on the field/box, then enter the number value. I don't know why Turbotax don't make a note of this next to field since it's different to all other number/field boxes where you simply enter number.

THIS WORKS!!! THANKS!!!

taxuser19

I have the same problem.  Appears to be a bug preventing any entries.  I'm using version 023.000.0435.

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

If you are encountering a problem entering property tax in the Mortgage Interest section, try entering it in the Property Tax section instead. 

Other users in this thread have found that double-clicking in the field worked.

If your are using TurboTax Online, check your Internet connection. Logging out of TurboTax and back in, changing browsers (Chrome generally works well), or clearing your cache and cookies often helps. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies