turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dwayne3525
Returning Member

Stimulus paid wrong amount

I am married (filing jointly) with two kids, one of which was born in 2019.  I filed my taxes early enough in 2020 that the stimulus payments we received were based off my 2019 taxes instead of 2018 because we are in the phaseout and made less in 2019 than in 2018.  We only received the stimulus payment for one child on both the first and second stimulus.  I called and tried to get it figured out and they always told me that it would need to be corrected on the 2020 taxes.  So now I'm filing my 2020 taxes and we made more in 2020.  When I complete the Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet it is based on my 2020 AGI which is higher than 2019 so now it says I don't qualify for the additional payment that I missed out on last year because they made an error and didn't pay us for two kids.  If they had paid us when they were supposed to pay us for them we wouldn't have to pay it back though.  Is there any way to get this corrected?  I've spent A LOT of time on the phone with people in the IRS who just can't wrap their head around the situation or are defiantly wrong about how the process works.  Thank you for your help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

IRS Recovery Rebate Credit website - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/recovery-rebate-credit

Economic Impact Payments were based on your 2018 or 2019 tax year information. The Recovery Rebate Credit is similar except that the eligibility and the amount are based on 2020 information you include on your 2020 tax return.

dwayne3525
Returning Member

Thank you for the response but that doesn't do anything to answer my question.  The payment sent to us last year was incorrect.   If they had overpaid us last year then we wouldn't have to pay it back, but they underpaid us and now we can't get the remaining balance.  

Sorry but if you did not get the correct amount of the  stimulus payment in advance based off the 2018 or 2019 returns then your only option is to get it on the 2020 return HOWEVER the credit is based on the 2020 income so you may no longer be eligible for more on the 2020 return  ... the IRS told you correctly and there is no other way to get what you believe was shorted earlier. 

Sorry you missed out.  But if you had gotten it you would not have to pay it back.  But it is really based on your 2020 return.

see the employee expert answer here

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/recovery-rebate-credit-stimulus-incorrect/00/1942...

She said......

If you do not qualify for the Recovery Rebate Credit because of your 2020 tax situation then you will not be able to get the missed stimulus payment.

dwayne3525
Returning Member

Thank you for your answer.  Not what I wanted to hear but you said it more concisely than anybody in the IRS has been able to.  The IRS does not require repayment of anything they overpaid though.  So if they had paid me correctly at the time then we would not have to pay it back now.  That's what I was trying to get resolved.  Do you know if there's anywhere that I can verify the number of dependents linked to me for the next stimulus payment?  They have only paying us for one dependent so far when it should be two.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies