turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Not able to e-file due to simplified AMT foreign tax credit

@Periwinkle65  I don't mean this to sound so harsh, but pretty much everything you said is incorrect.

The CPA misinformed you about mailing vs. efiling.   It is definitely possible  to efile with multiple countries.

Further, efiling does not prevent the IRS from manually checking your return.  Would be nice if it did, I guess?

This annoyance may have been created by the IRS (by changing their input requirements) but TT is in the business of providing software that meets the IRS requirements.   They've failed at that.

The way to avoid it is to use a different software package, from a vendor who actually bothered to update their software this year.

Finally, the Simplified AMT election does not eliminate the 1116 form(s) from your return.

iwondero
Returning Member

On another long related stream (currently 25 pages) one very recent commenter said he or she thought the software issue had been solved because all of a sudden the annoying TT message "You elected the simplified AMT Foreign Tax Credit limitation. Print the return and file by mail" had gone away and he or she could then electronically file. Come on TT, fix the ********** issue. Could TT's Customer Service be any worse on this issue? There have been posts on this issue since late Feb 2021. I hate filing by mail. Either the USPS or the IRS (both now having large customer service issues) lost 2 of my mailed 5227 forms from last year. 

I just tried to file after seeing your post and got the same message.   Turbo Tax, it is time to fix it.  OR if you aren't going to be able to fix it, announce that so that people aren't sitting around waiting.   If I have to file by mail, I would rather beat the rush.   And Turbo Tax should reimburse me for first class postage and certified mail so that I will know if it arrives.  

There were conflicting posts yesterday about whether this was a fixable issue, but since one of the community testing other products and could file electronically with Tax Act, it would suggest that the problem is with the program and not necessitated by the IRS - also suggests that it can be fixed.  

Turbo Tax, at the very least, please tell us whether you think this problem will be corrected before May 15th!!

And, I might add, I don't care about badges for posting and replying.   Please put that effort into the programs. 

Turbo Tax has now known about this issue for months and has done absolutely nothing to rectify the problem. They will not be fixing it. I just went ahead and paper filed ftom overseas. I hope my return is received. Absolutely useless customer service and everyone experiencing this issue should be refunded for the software purchase, as the product did not deliver what it promised. 

I used the solution mentioned here. Went into the forms and removed simplified option to say No- and efiled ..no change to tax implications either ways..I had foreign country interest income as well as mutual fund income..both federal and state accepted. I will be using this thread if audited. Turbo Tax sucks..and they don't give a **bleep**...they probably have a BOT answering us and have sold to some Silicon Valley billionaire sipping margaritas overlooking the bay..leaving us to fend for ourselves...next year..new tax software for sure...shame Turbo Tax..no quality assurance..no accountability!

And for ** sake I don't care for your BOT produced Badges..

same problem on may 9, 2021:  turbotax says i can't efile because last year i elected the simplified amt for tax credit limitation.  well, for year 2019 filing there was no problem efiling, having so elected.  yet to file year 2020, it won't allow me to efile?  

turbotax says i can't change to the non simplified method because once having elected the simplified method, for yr 2019 filing, i must now perforce continue to so elect the simplified method!! (per supposed irs regulations and i would need "special permission" from the irs to now at this point not elect the simplified method) .... 

in short this is a classic catch 22.  can not turbotax remedy this situation?  

my god this is a hair pulling event

follow up

the so-called election is selected on form 6251, which is the form for the AMT.   (and you won't find it on the worksheet for 6251, only the main form itself).   

i did go back and look at form 6251 for year 2019.  (the two questions are the same for both years) as follows:

"A.  in the first tax year after 1997 that the ftc was claimed, was the Simplified AMT FTC Limitation elected?

box: left blank (so, no, it seems i never elected it until yr 2019).  This is the first year:  yes  or no?   (i elected yes, and was able to efile without problem)

"B. Elect to use the Simp. FTC Limitation this year?   yes or no    (i elected yes last year)

[as i was reviewing what i elected for year 2019, i decided to just change it to No, No, as if i had never elected the simplified limitation.  i doubt this will solve my 2020 problem (unless you start over for 2020 and re-import your 2019 tax return .. that would probably work but probably not worth the effort of re-entering all of 2020)]

i tried a couple of different ways of selecting / not selecting on this section of 6251 in the Forms section (not the step by step).  so far, i have not succeeded in efiling regardless of how i ticked these yes / no boxes.  

it's possible i have other issues with form 1116 but turbotax is not able to find them, other than the loop of the simplified ftc election issue.    ttax says to go back and look for "data in the return is missing or invalid" --
in relation to 1116.  (without pinpointing the problem, which is so aggravating because that's why we buy this software!!! to fill out these forms for us!!!)  

the suggestion to reduce one's foreign taxes to $600 so you don't have to file 1116 is a good one.  however, that amount is for marrieds, and i am single so the limit is $300.  i'm not willing to lose, in my case,  $463 in additonal foreign tax credit owing to this problem.   therefore, it looks increasingly like i will print out a 100 page return and mail it in.   (frankly, i had a feeling my efile would fail since my return is overly long this year but i never imagined it would be because of this "simplified" election issue).  

the person who said a cpa said you can't efile if you have multi country is wrong.  for mutual funds, you select "various" as the country source.  i've been doing that for years with ftc, and never any issue with being rejected for efile.  irs has all your copies of form 1099 div electronically, and they all report it as various in this case so irs if fully aware of this matter.  

that being said, the irs really does need to develop a simplified form 1116.  it's the most complex form out there.  i've spent far too many hours over the years on this form, and turbotax is very bad at helping you get it right.  and after all that work, all you get, for most of us, is probably under $1000 back.  

you know what is most aggravating is: going thru the federal review and being told my return has no errors.  and then transmitting my returns to be told my return has errors!!!!   and then having turbotax tell me they will "help me" fix my return.  and then finding turbotax is unable to fix my return, no, not at all!!  

fyi, if you live in calif and don't like paying $25 to efile in calif, there are other options.  i always print my calif return anyway, and i drop it off at the dropboxes at the Board of Equalization.  so at least there is no postage to pay, only laser toner and paper cost.   if you live in the Sacramento area, the BOE is on Power Inn Rd.  Go up to the second floor and look for the dropbox for the Franchise Tax Board in the middle of the room.  

Having been told by someone at Turbo Tax 5 weeks ago that they would be likely to fix the problem within 30 days, I waited in the hope I could e-file.  I just called again and was told they definitely won't fix it this year - that the IRS changed something late in the year that made it not work to e-file, but that the IRS is likely to change it back.   I said that it was a problem as recently as late March and TT should have fixed it in time for us to file.   He said to go ahead and file by mail.   That is consistent with something someone posted in late March when I started on this thread, but I hoped that the person who told me it was being worked on was correct.

Other people have opted to say no when asked if they want to use the Simplified Method, but I am enough of a rule follower, that if the IRS doesn't want you to change methods without written permission from them, I will abide by that, even though my total tax wouldn't change.   I am disappointed in the IRS for the late change and in TT for a) telling me it would be fixed if it wouldn't be and b) not fixing it.   For those of you who are waiting in hopes of a fix, you are apparently waiting in vain.    Hoping this is the only year with this problem.

Yes, it seems you have to file by mail.

Just to update my earlier post about Block and TaxAct in this thread, I did end up efiling with TaxAct last night and it was accepted.   Overall, switching away from TT was not as difficult as I had imagined.   I'm very happy with TaxAct right now and don't expect to ever return to TurboTax. 

Thanks for this. Very helpful. Looks like I will be using TaxAct next year. TT customer service has severely failed the overseas filers this year. Blatant disregard and continuous lies wit promises of rectifying something they never had any intention of fixing. 

Thank you for posting. I will also give TaxAct a try next year.

Several final related points to the Simplified AMT problem as I'm stopping all effort relating to 2020 taxes after I finish this note.  Apologies in advance for the length of this note....

First, my reject notices all said that only information was missing from my 1116.  They did not refer to the Simplified AMT problem even though I had said "yes" to that election.  I eventually finagled my way through the 1116 using a combination of suggestions from the very helpful people on this blog.  After making 3 or 4 attempts where I just changed one thing at a time (and wasted 2 full days in the process), I decided to go whole hog and make all the changes you kind folks recommended together in one update and miraculously IRS accepted my efile.  So unfortunately I can't help pinpoint the critical change.  The one thing I did NOT change was the Simplified AMT election as I was concerned about the TurboTax comment saying that one can not switch without IRS approval.  My point is that it seems TurboTax (or possibly the IRS) may have fixed the issue relating to this problem.

If I had the Simplified AMT problem that many of you have, and if I had read the comments on this blog, I would have taken the approach to calculate the tax with and without changing my election.  If I ended up with the same final result, I would have switched my election to "no" and as others have said kept a copy of this blog together with the two sets of calculations just in case IRS ever came back to ask about it.  I'm not a tax lawyer, so maybe this isn't great advice, but it is a practical solution.  As a side point, the one time I ran into a problem with the IRS, I was able to show it was due to an honest miscommunication with my accountant (back when my employer paid for my tax prep) and the IRS was very reasonable about the issue.

One reason I'm not too worried about that approach of changing my AMT election: although I have had to pay AMT in the past, and actually have large potential 1116 AMT carryforward tax credits available, I don't expect to pay AMT in the future and so I don't really care if those tax credits disappear.  As opposed to my regular 1116 carryforward credits which I don't want to lose.

Second, TurboTax says that I made the Simplified AMT election in the past and therefore I am not able to change it without IRS approval.   I'm just so tired of working on taxes now that I don't have the stamina to go back through old returns and find out when and why I would have made that election.  I am wondering specifically if at some point in the past TurboTax suggested to me that it was a good approach. 

Third, though both TaxAct and H&R Block software failed in being able to deal with all of my tax requirements in the past, and so I felt forced to stick with TurboTax, I'm optimistic from reading many comments on this blog about others being able to use both of those alternatives.  Very helpful reviews from ABitAnnoyed and Deskandchairs among others.  I especially like the analysis about worksheets which seems to say that TaxAct provides by far the best backup worksheets, with TurboTax next, and H&R Block last.  So my vote will go to TaxAct next year.  In fact, if I end up with some free time this summer, I might just give TaxAct a try with my 2020 tax and see what happens.

Best of luck to all of you.

I too have the same efile problem.

Please tell me how to make the change to the the non-simplified-AMT method.

That is what are the mechanics of making this change in TTax.

It is very discouraging that Intuit is not offering a solution or instructions on the work around.

Tom

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies