turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Not able to e-file due to simplified AMT foreign tax credit

It should be the 7th screen you should reach in this following sequence of steps.

DIV entry before doing this.

1. Federal>deductions and credits>deductions and credits>estimate and other taxes paid>Foreign Tax Credit>start or revisit.
  2. If this is your first year in making this election, indicate so in the 6th screen.
  3. in the 7th screen, this is where you indicate you want to do the other calculation besides the simplified election. This is a screenshot on what the screen looks like.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

To change the method, as I recall, I went to Deductions & Credits, scrolled to foreign tax credit and opened it in the interview process.   Turn down the opportunity to add  new information.  When you get to the question about the Simplified Method, you can say no.   Then it will proceed from there.    When I got through, I compared the AMT 1116 forms and my 1040 form.   The AMT 1116 changed a little, but didn't change the total foreign tax credit, so none of the entries on the 1040 changed.

Because it said you had to have written IRS permission to make the change, I mailed my return with the correct method.   I did not try to e-file with the "wrong" method.   If you do, you could save both versions on your computer- I did second one as "Save As" and titled it differently.   Then you could show IRS that there was no difference in your tax, as I assume there wouldn't be.   Hope that helps.

If you used the Simplified Method in the past, you cannot change it without the prior IRS authorization. So changing the method is not a viable solution for the vast majority of us.

Also, if you have used neither method before and have to make an election this year, if you select Non-Simplified Method, then you are locked into that method for future years--and this is something you probably won't want to do just to be able to efile this year.

Turbotax just needs to fix their software. But at this point, I guess I don't really care very much what they do. It's too late for me (and most other people) this year. And next year, I for one, plan to check out TaxAct and see how that works.

DLMenzaSR1
Returning Member

Try changing the country name to "Various" and the date paid to 12/31/20.

It is disappointing that Turbo Tax doesn't fix this.  For me personally I file in 7 states.  It was a pain to have paper file for all of those.  TurboTax  also lots the revenue on each state I didn't EFile in.

Does anybody know if this issue has been fixed for 2021 taxes?  Thanks 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

The form is available this year so there should be no issue with reporting that this year.

@haftl31

dochs
Returning Member

How do I remove the foreign tax credit from my tax forms it is only 61 dollars, that I can do without.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It depends on where it is entered. If entered on a 1099 INT or 1099 DIV, you can go to Box 6 of the 1099 INT or Box 7 of the 1099 DIV to remove the tax paid. if not in these places, you will need to go to the area where the tax was recorded.

@dochs

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies