turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is the IRS figuring your federal earned income credit (EIC) for you? I hit the wrong button and cannot find this question again!

The question was on an actual worksheet, not just a TurboTax question.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
DanaB27
Employee Tax Expert

Is the IRS figuring your federal earned income credit (EIC) for you? I hit the wrong button and cannot find this question again!

No, you will have to enter your information into TurboTax and TurboTax will calculate the amount and put it on line 27 of Form 1040.

Please follow these steps in TurboTax if you have not already filed:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on the Search box on the top and type "EIC"
  3. Click on “Jump to EIC”
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you! Unfortunately, I tried that and it just says, I do not qualify for EIC. It does not allow me to change my answer. I don't know if I'm going to be able to change it.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Try getting back there using these steps.

1. Deductions and Credits
  2. You and Your Family

3. Earned Income Credit [Revisit]

4. Go forward from here

If this still doesn't work you can delete the form.

1. On the menu bar on the left that shows.
    1. My Info
    2. Federal
    3. State
    4. Review
    5. File
  2. Select Tax Tools
  3. On the drop down select Tools
  4. On the Pop-Up menu select Delete a Form
  5. This will give you all of the forms in your return
  6. Scroll down to 
    1. Sch EIC or
    2. Earned Income Wks
  7. Select the Form
  8. Click on Delete.
  9. Always use extreme caution when deleting from your tax return.  
  10. Now go back to the directions above and start over.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm having the EXACT same trouble! I ended up clearing my return and starting over, but it came up again. It shouldn't since we didn't file the federal EIC! I'm also trying to delete the federal forms as suggested but it's not processing with TurboTax. This is SUPER frustrating!! Hoping a log out and log back in will help. As of right now I can't file my taxes without filling this in.

No luck. I can't get the Earned Income Worksheet to delete. I'm totally stuck. So frustrating.

@CassBNickels wrote:

No luck. I can't get the Earned Income Worksheet to delete. I'm totally stuck. So frustrating.

If you are eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit it cannot be deleted from your tax return.  Why are you trying to delete the EITC?

I eventually clicked "No" and it seemed to have no effect on my return and it now says my documents are ready to file. In case that helps! I still have no idea what "figuring" means in that sentence, but since the IRS "figured" out that we didn't qualify for EIC, maybe No was the right answer. Good luck!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies