turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing as Head of Household without claiming child dependent

In previous year's when filing my taxes using TurboTax and claiming Head of Household, it used to ask the question whether someone else would claim the qualifying child as a dependent (for the case of divorce).  The 2020 edition did not include this question and does not seem to be recognizing this scenario as an option.  Every time I add my child's info as the qualifying person, TurboTax is automatically including my child as a dependent as well.  Any suggestions or tips?  Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

22 Replies
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

The applicable question that is asked is "Do you have an agreement with the other parent on who can claim the child?" You should select "Yes".  That will lead to the next question about who will claim the dependent. 

If the other parent will claim the child per agreement, then answer as such.  You will then get indication that the child does not count as your dependent. 

As the custodial parent, however, the child will still show on your return as you still get any Earned Income Credit and/or Childcare Credit as well as the right to file "Head of Household." 

The non-custodial parent only gets the "Child Tax Credit."

Here is an IRS publication with more information on children of divorced parents.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the quick response!  I did select YES but the 2nd question regarding who is claiming the child did not pop up afterward.  Perhaps the software needs an update?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Understand.  Try this. 

Delete the dependent.

Go ahead and sign out of TurboTax

Clear your browser cache

Here is a link with help if needed. 

Then sign back in and update "My Info" with the dependent information.

I’ve tried deleting the child and TurboTax automatically switches filing status to single. I’ve gone through the steps to change back to Head of Household and same issue - never asks the question about if someone else can claim child. I’ll try closing and re-opening from scratch. I’m using desktop version not online so don’t think clearing cache is applicable. 

@DMarkM1 Closing TurboTax after deleting the dependent then re-opening and adding back did not fix the issue.  Software still not asking the question whether someone else can claim the child after selecting yes we have a custody agreement.

That is a known bug and has been reported.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

[Deleted. Posted reply to wrong thread.]

@DMarkM1 If this is a known bug that has been reported, how long should it take to get it fixed in the software?  Thanks!

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

To claim a non-dependent, say No, I don’t have an agreement on the screen Do you have an agreement with the other parent about who can claim him/her? Do this even if you have an agreement.

Tell TurboTax the child spent the most nights in 2020 in your home.

Then select Yes, I’m letting the other parent claim him/her for 2020.

TurboTax will say It turns out your child doesn’t count as your dependent and the child’s status will be Nondependent on the dependent’s screen.

@ErnieS0  I tried your method above and the option to let the other parent claim the child never came up just like when I selected that I have a custody agreement.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@poohj80  As macuser_22 said a few days ago, this is a known bug and it has been reported to TurboTax. There does not appear to be any way to get it to work or to work around it. You just have to wait until TurboTax fixes the bug. They have not given any estimate of when it will be fixed.

@poohj80 wrote:

@ErnieS0  I tried your method above and the option to let the other parent claim the child never came up just like when I selected that I have a custody agreement.

For the workaround to work you must select that you do NOT have a custody agreement.    [Saying that you DO have a custody agreement is the bug].

When you say that you do NOT have an agreement then the question asking if the other parent is claiming will appear and if answered yes, will make the child a non-dependent allowing HOH.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@macuser_22 I tried this and the question as to whether the other parent can claim still did not come up.

Calyps0
Returning Member

I can confirm that no work arounds work.  Just need to wait for a fix for this.

Manage cookies