`

Filed as a dependent by mistake! (Stimulus Check?)

The irs told me you can amend it and if there's a fix b4 hand they will fix it but contact them n let them kno your situation 

Did you use the non-filer site  to get a stimulus check and now you are unable to e-file your 2019 return?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/stimulus-how-to-file-your-return-after-getting-rej...

I'm in the exact same situation where I used the non-filers tool thinking the "cannot be claimed as a dependent"  meant for 2020 ( since that's when we need the stimulous $, not last year; then I got a check for $1200 but my parant cant efile bc,  as you said, the non-filers tool actually submitted a full blown 2019 tax report for you, in which unbenownst to you, you're claiming one exemption for yourself; thus your mom  cannot claim you as her dependent unless she mails her 2019 tax return through the US postal service and explains the non-filers tool failed to warn you in so many words you would be claiming yourself as one excemption (dependant). So, regular mail for her, yes, e-file, no, b/c you already took up your own excemption. 

My case is exactly as yours. My dad will submit his return through the US POSTAL SERVICE claiming me as his dependant for 2019. He had to request a time extension for filing as the system rejected his return through e-file on July 14th. he will explain the confusion in using the non-filers tool (for the stimulous $) in writing and I plan to submit an amended 2019 return for myself requesting zero excemtions for my 2019 return. 

As for the check I received, the IRS will have to guide me where and when to send it back. through researching, people in our situation ( 2019 dependent, 2020 independent working) should wait till they do their 2020 return early next year to get their stimulous $ ( the one you and I just got a check for in error). As you correctly put it, our confusion is preventing our parents from e-filing their returns with us as their dependants, thus the get around of regular mail with the appropriate explanation to the IRS.

the IRS form to amend our returns is:  1040-X 

My husband did our taxes this year and he also checked the box "Someone Can Claim You as a dependent for myself and him.  Neither one of us received the stimulus payment.  Should we get a Tax Accountant to fix this or wait to fix it in 2021 when we file our 2020 taxes.  And will we get the other Stimulus check that they are talking about giving us in August?

@sherriemcmahon Not sure why your spouse checked off that you both could be claimed as dependents--are you both students who are being claimed by your parents?  Sometimes we see that with newlyweds whose parents still want to claim them during the first year of marriage so the parents can get the education credits.  A married couple who file a joint return cannot be claimed as dependents.  Are you sure your spouse checked that on your Form 1040?  It would mean answering the question wrong TWICE in My Info if you were filing a married return.   Is the dependent box checked on the top of your Form 1040 for both of you?

But if it was just a mistake and you should not have said you could be claimed, then the only way to fix it is to amend the tax return and change the way the question about being dependents was answered in My Info.  Realistically, it will take months before an amended return is processed.  Normally it takes about four months and during the pandemic it is taking much longer.  So your chance of amending in time to get stimulus money in 2020 is not good.  The stimulus checks are an advance on a credit that you can get on your 2020 return that you file in 2021, so you can still get the EIP money next year.

But.....saying you are dependents may have affected you in other ways, so amend even if it takes a long time.  If you said you were dependents, you could not get earned income credits or education credits--like a deduction for student loan interest for example.

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return?

A 1040X cannot be e-filed.  It must be printed and mailed.  It will take about 4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.  It is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it, like UPS or certified mail, so you will know it was received.

Wait about 3 weeks from mailing and you can check the status of your amended return:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908543-do-i-need-to-amend

Any news of this working? I’m gonna mail my amended 2018 tomorrow 

It was a stupid mistake.  That's what happens when you think you can do your returns by yourself and not have your accountant do them.  We are Seniors, and I guess we were having a Senior moment when we did our taxes.  Just a stupid mistake and now we are paying dearly for it.  So, my advice go to a accountant.

When I attempt to do the amend return the option for someone can claim me as a dependent is checked on "No", but on my tax form it is blank, when I called IRS they told me that was the reason why  didn't get my stimulus check, because I didn't answer the question, yet it shows I did, she said if you checked the box or left black than it is considered as someone can claim you. Anyone can help me?

@Gisel25 Either you misunderstood what the person at the IRS told you, or you spoke to someone at the IRS who does not know what a Form 1040 should look like it you are not being claimed as someone else's dependent.  If you said NO in My Info to the question about being claimed as a dependent, then the box on your Form 1040 is blank.

That box should only be checked (or x'd) if you can be claimed as a dependent.  Otherwise it is blank.