turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Nikkimac79
Returning Member

Filed as a dependent by mistake! (Stimulus Check?)

The irs told me you can amend it and if there's a fix b4 hand they will fix it but contact them n let them kno your situation 

Did you use the non-filer site  to get a stimulus check and now you are unable to e-file your 2019 return?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/stimulus-how-to-file-your-return-after-getting-rej...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
elmul

I'm in the exact same situation where I used the non-filers tool thinking the "cannot be claimed as a dependent"  meant for 2020 ( since that's when we need the stimulous $, not last year; then I got a check for $1200 but my parant cant efile bc,  as you said, the non-filers tool actually submitted a full blown 2019 tax report for you, in which unbenownst to you, you're claiming one exemption for yourself; thus your mom  cannot claim you as her dependent unless she mails her 2019 tax return through the US postal service and explains the non-filers tool failed to warn you in so many words you would be claiming yourself as one excemption (dependant). So, regular mail for her, yes, e-file, no, b/c you already took up your own excemption. 

My case is exactly as yours. My dad will submit his return through the US POSTAL SERVICE claiming me as his dependant for 2019. He had to request a time extension for filing as the system rejected his return through e-file on July 14th. he will explain the confusion in using the non-filers tool (for the stimulous $) in writing and I plan to submit an amended 2019 return for myself requesting zero excemtions for my 2019 return. 

As for the check I received, the IRS will have to guide me where and when to send it back. through researching, people in our situation ( 2019 dependent, 2020 independent working) should wait till they do their 2020 return early next year to get their stimulous $ ( the one you and I just got a check for in error). As you correctly put it, our confusion is preventing our parents from e-filing their returns with us as their dependants, thus the get around of regular mail with the appropriate explanation to the IRS.

the IRS form to amend our returns is:  1040-X 

My husband did our taxes this year and he also checked the box "Someone Can Claim You as a dependent for myself and him.  Neither one of us received the stimulus payment.  Should we get a Tax Accountant to fix this or wait to fix it in 2021 when we file our 2020 taxes.  And will we get the other Stimulus check that they are talking about giving us in August?

@sherriemcmahon Not sure why your spouse checked off that you both could be claimed as dependents--are you both students who are being claimed by your parents?  Sometimes we see that with newlyweds whose parents still want to claim them during the first year of marriage so the parents can get the education credits.  A married couple who file a joint return cannot be claimed as dependents.  Are you sure your spouse checked that on your Form 1040?  It would mean answering the question wrong TWICE in My Info if you were filing a married return.   Is the dependent box checked on the top of your Form 1040 for both of you?

But if it was just a mistake and you should not have said you could be claimed, then the only way to fix it is to amend the tax return and change the way the question about being dependents was answered in My Info.  Realistically, it will take months before an amended return is processed.  Normally it takes about four months and during the pandemic it is taking much longer.  So your chance of amending in time to get stimulus money in 2020 is not good.  The stimulus checks are an advance on a credit that you can get on your 2020 return that you file in 2021, so you can still get the EIP money next year.

But.....saying you are dependents may have affected you in other ways, so amend even if it takes a long time.  If you said you were dependents, you could not get earned income credits or education credits--like a deduction for student loan interest for example.

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return?

A 1040X cannot be e-filed.  It must be printed and mailed.  It will take about 4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.  It is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it, like UPS or certified mail, so you will know it was received.

Wait about 3 weeks from mailing and you can check the status of your amended return:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908543-do-i-need-to-amend

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Any news of this working? I’m gonna mail my amended 2018 tomorrow 

It was a stupid mistake.  That's what happens when you think you can do your returns by yourself and not have your accountant do them.  We are Seniors, and I guess we were having a Senior moment when we did our taxes.  Just a stupid mistake and now we are paying dearly for it.  So, my advice go to a accountant.

Gisel25

When I attempt to do the amend return the option for someone can claim me as a dependent is checked on "No", but on my tax form it is blank, when I called IRS they told me that was the reason why  didn't get my stimulus check, because I didn't answer the question, yet it shows I did, she said if you checked the box or left black than it is considered as someone can claim you. Anyone can help me?

@Gisel25 Either you misunderstood what the person at the IRS told you, or you spoke to someone at the IRS who does not know what a Form 1040 should look like it you are not being claimed as someone else's dependent.  If you said NO in My Info to the question about being claimed as a dependent, then the box on your Form 1040 is blank.

That box should only be checked (or x'd) if you can be claimed as a dependent.  Otherwise it is blank.

Veroaparicio11
Returning Member

How did this turn out? I have the same situation! Please i could use some help! Thanks!

I'm 65 and accidently clicked on the box for can be claimed as a dependent .  I spoke to IRS who told me to file a 1040x which I did back in June 2020.  Today I spoke to IRS because I never saw my 1040x form was received.  I was told "you can wait but chances of you receiving the stimulus is slim ". You might be able to get it back in the 2020 tax year but there is NO CORRECTION policy for this part if the form!!!  Good luck

You will receive any additional credit to which you were entitled when you file your 2020 taxes.  See question #30 here

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

I also have the same issue. But my mom cannot claim me cause she hasn’t ever worked before. I pay the rent and bills. She and my younger sister got their checks, $1200 &$500 using the non filers tool. I just amended my return electronically .  And I unchecked the box that said someone can claim me, it was accepted immediately by the IRS. With this corrected will I still get my check? @xmasbaby0 

Did you get your check? 

@Eniiwinner You did not mention how old you are.  Your mother may have also claimed you as a dependent when she used that non-filer site--ask her.  if you were over 16 at the end of 2019 she could not get stimulus money for you---but she may not understand that and may have put you down as a dependent too since she is not experienced with filing tax returns.

Your amended return will take months to be processed.  You have a better chance of getting the stimulus money when you prepare and file your 2020 tax return in early 2021.  And if your mom cannot claim you, make sure she knows not to do so again.  Congress has not voted on a second stimulus bill at this time, but we do not know what will happen in the next months.

Here are the rules Mom has to use for claiming a dependent:

WHO CAN I CLAIM AS A DEPENDENT?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiance (etc.) as a dependent on your 2019 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They are related to you.

• They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or   Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

• They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).

• No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children

They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).

• They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

They lived with you the entire year.

• They made less than $4200  (not counting Social Security)

• You provided more than half of their financial support. More info

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them.

Related Information:

Does a dependent have to live with me?

What does "financially support another person" mean?

Can I claim a newborn baby?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies