`

change ITIN to SSN

It will never update in the system to allow you to e-file with the SSN this season.  You must file by mail.  You should be able to e-file next season. 

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
**If a post answers your question, choose it by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer".**

change ITIN to SSN

Thanks for your reply. Understood.

Do you know if they will mail a letter stating they have updated their system? How do I know they processed my request letter amidst this covid shut down?

change ITIN to SSN

@casagrde wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Understood.

I don't know if you get a reply normally.  It really doesn't matter.  Your spouse should use the new SSN for all tax and financial purposes (update your bank records, employer information, and so on).  The only time this might come up is when you try to e-file next year.

change ITIN to SSN

Thanks.

I filed our tax returns using her ITIN number because the SSN was not working. My mistake. 3 weeks after I mailed the IRS the letter requesting the change.

Because I used the ITIN I did not receive any stimulus check.

Will I received a retroactive stimulus check next year in the form of tax refund (considering were eligible, but missed updating the ITIN with the SSN)?

change ITIN to SSN

@casagrde wrote:

All I can say is probably.  That's how we are told it's supposed to work. 

change ITIN to SSN

Hi 

I am in same boat. My wife got SSN and missed to update in 2019 tax returns.

I have two children one with ITIN and another with SSN. As per my knowledge,if any one in house has ITIN, the stimulus check will not be given for entire family. 

If thats true, can i file 2020 tax returns with my SSN,my wifes SSN and only one child who has SSN. Do i need to include my child who has ITIN.

change ITIN to SSN

@Kumar123 wrote:

Hi 

Go to this IRS website for stimulus payment information FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

A2. Although some filers, such as high-income filers, will not qualify for an Economic Impact Payment, most will.

Taxpayers likely won't qualify for an Economic Impact Payment if any of the following apply:

• You do not have any qualifying children and your adjusted gross income is greater than
    • $198,000 if your filing status was married filing jointly
    • $136,500 for head of household
    • $99,000 for all other eligible individuals
  • You can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return. For example, this would include a child, student who can be claimed on a parent’s return or a dependent parent who is claimed on their child’s return.
  • You do not have a Social Security number that is valid for employment.
  • You are a nonresident alien.
  • You filed Form 1040-NR or Form 1040NR-EZ, Form 1040-PR or Form 1040-SS for 2019.
  • An incarcerated individual.
  • A deceased individual.
  • An estate or trust.

change ITIN to SSN

@DoninGA Thanks for reply.

As per below 

"You do not have any qualifying children"

I have one qualified children and one dont quality.  So whats my scenario. 

change ITIN to SSN

@Kumar123 If the second child does not have a Social Security number then they are not eligible for a stimulus payment.

If the the first child has a SS number, is under the age of 17 and you are claiming them as a dependent on your tax return, they are eligible for the $500 stimulus payment.

The stimulus payment is reduced or phased out depending on your Adjusted Gross Income.

See the charts on this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/how_do_I_calculate_my_eip.pdf