turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

casagrde

change ITIN to SSN

Thanks for your reply. Understood.

Do you know if they will mail a letter stating they have updated their system? How do I know they processed my request letter amidst this covid shut down?

change ITIN to SSN

@casagrde wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Understood.

Do you know if they will mail a letter stating they have updated their system? How do I know they processed my request letter amidst this covid shut down?

I don't know if you get a reply normally.  It really doesn't matter.  Your spouse should use the new SSN for all tax and financial purposes (update your bank records, employer information, and so on).  The only time this might come up is when you try to e-file next year.

casagrde

change ITIN to SSN

Thanks.

I filed our tax returns using her ITIN number because the SSN was not working. My mistake. 3 weeks after I mailed the IRS the letter requesting the change.

Because I used the ITIN I did not receive any stimulus check.

Will I received a retroactive stimulus check next year in the form of tax refund (considering were eligible, but missed updating the ITIN with the SSN)?

change ITIN to SSN

@casagrde wrote:

Will I received a retroactive stimulus check next year in the form of tax refund (considering were eligible, but missed updating the ITIN with the SSN)?

All I can say is probably.  That's how we are told it's supposed to work. 

change ITIN to SSN

Hi 

I am in same boat. My wife got SSN and missed to update in 2019 tax returns.

I have two children one with ITIN and another with SSN. As per my knowledge,if any one in house has ITIN, the stimulus check will not be given for entire family. 

If thats true, can i file 2020 tax returns with my SSN,my wifes SSN and only one child who has SSN. Do i need to include my child who has ITIN.

change ITIN to SSN

@Kumar123 wrote:

Hi 

I am in same boat. My wife got SSN and missed to update in 2019 tax returns.

I have two children one with ITIN and another with SSN. As per my knowledge,if any one in house has ITIN, the stimulus check will not be given for entire family. 

If thats true, can i file 2020 tax returns with my SSN,my wifes SSN and only one child who has SSN. Do i need to include my child who has ITIN.

Go to this IRS website for stimulus payment information FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

A2. Although some filers, such as high-income filers, will not qualify for an Economic Impact Payment, most will.

Taxpayers likely won't qualify for an Economic Impact Payment if any of the following apply:

• You do not have any qualifying children and your adjusted gross income is greater than
    • $198,000 if your filing status was married filing jointly
    • $136,500 for head of household
    • $99,000 for all other eligible individuals
  • You can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return. For example, this would include a child, student who can be claimed on a parent’s return or a dependent parent who is claimed on their child’s return.
  • You do not have a Social Security number that is valid for employment.
  • You are a nonresident alien.
  • You filed Form 1040-NR or Form 1040NR-EZ, Form 1040-PR or Form 1040-SS for 2019.
  • An incarcerated individual.
  • A deceased individual.
  • An estate or trust.

change ITIN to SSN

@DoninGA Thanks for reply.

As per below 

"You do not have any qualifying children"

I have one qualified children and one dont quality.  So whats my scenario. 

change ITIN to SSN

@Kumar123 If the second child does not have a Social Security number then they are not eligible for a stimulus payment.

If the the first child has a SS number, is under the age of 17 and you are claiming them as a dependent on your tax return, they are eligible for the $500 stimulus payment.

The stimulus payment is reduced or phased out depending on your Adjusted Gross Income.

See the charts on this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/how_do_I_calculate_my_eip.pdf

change ITIN to SSN

Hi casagrde,

According to the IRS person I talked with on the phone, you will receive a letter from IRS confirming the process is completed.

Good luck!

Emory100

change ITIN to SSN

Hi All, 

We submitted a request for changing ITIN to SSN with all documents but so far no reply since Aug 2020. 

We also included a receiving copy including a self stamped envelope to get a copy of receiving that they received our envelope. 

There is no response even after calling them. 

Anyone have any idea who can we do this.

Best regards

Emory100

change ITIN to SSN

No Idea, We keep calling but they said due to covid may be its late.

change ITIN to SSN

I filed the update in May and got no response.

change ITIN to SSN

I did it in May still no response. We may have to wait for next year tax application. They might offer something to notify them.

change ITIN to SSN

Per the IRS :  https://www.irs.gov/individuals/itin-expiration-faqs

Q30: If I submit an ITIN renewal request before the end of 2020, and do not receive my ITIN, what should I do?

A30: You should allow 7 weeks from the mailing date of the Form W-7 for the IRS to notify you of your ITIN application status (9 to 11 weeks if you submit the application during peak processing periods (January 15 through April 30), or if you’re filing from overseas.)  If you do not receive notification within the timeframes above, you may call the IRS toll free line at 1-800-829-1040 to check on the status of your application.

taxpayers145
Returning Member

change ITIN to SSN

What is the phone number to call to know if the ITIN to SSN process is completed by IRS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies