Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

change ITIN to SSN

There is no way to find out when the ITIN has been married to the SS# after you mail in the request  ... all you do going forward is use the SS# as required by law and let the ITIN go dormant ... after a time it is automatically cancelled.  

change ITIN to SSN

Hi @taxpayers145 

I called this number 855-723-2060, ext. 244

This number came with a letter from IRS about renewing ITIN.

Because of Covid-19, auto-guidance may not let you connect to a person. In such case, try to call again at different time later. I needed make a couple of calls before get to a person.

Good luck!

taxpayers145
Returning Member

change ITIN to SSN

Thanks

taxpayers145
Returning Member

change ITIN to SSN

Thanks a lot for the info

change ITIN to SSN

Just want to let everybody know that I have received confirmation from IRS that they've updated my wife's ITIN to SSN, I filed the request in May. 

casagrde

change ITIN to SSN

Hello,

How did you file your request? Did you send a letter?

How did they confirm this to you?

did they send you a letter ?

Thanks

change ITIN to SSN

Yes I sent a letter and they mailed a confirmation letter back.

You can follow these steps:

https://finance.zacks.com/modify-tax-return-itin-ssn-spouse-4563.html

casagrde

change ITIN to SSN

Good to hear. Hope I get one too.

It took them 6 months to reply to you. I think I sent my letter in July.

Conan2020

change ITIN to SSN

Thank you. This explains things fairly. Also what should be included is to send a letter to the IRS to use the newly assigned SSN in the place of the ITIN using the terms request to rescind ITIN. Included should be a copy of the ITIN, assigned SSN, full name, & current address. Then with this process the IRS should be able to connect the dots of information to correctly process filings & issue due stimulus payment. That’s my best understanding after a while of research. Now I can go on to other things. Appreciate the advise & hope my input helps further everyone’s understanding. 

change ITIN to SSN

Per the IRS:

What do I do when I am assigned a social security number (SSN)?
Once you receive a SSN, you must use that number for tax purposes and discontinue using your ITIN.  It is improper to use both the ITIN and the SSN assigned to the same person to file tax returns.  It is your responsibility to notify the IRS so we can combine all of your tax records under one identification number.  If you do not notify the IRS when you are assigned a SSN, you may not receive credit for all wages paid and taxes withheld which could reduce the amount of any refund due.  You can visit a local IRS office or write a letter explaining that you have now been assigned a SSN and want your tax records combined.  Include your complete name, mailing address, and ITIN along with a copy of your social security card and a copy of the CP 565, Notice of ITIN Assignment, if available.  The IRS will void the ITIN and associate all prior tax information filed under the ITIN with the SSN.  Send your letter to: 

Internal Revenue Service 
     Austin, TX 73301 -  0057 

change ITIN to SSN

Did you filed an amended return or just a letter to IRS?

change ITIN to SSN

just a letter, i don't think we can file an amendment in this case.

change ITIN to SSN

No return ... just a letter ... see the exact IRS instructions posted in my other answer. 

change ITIN to SSN

In the same boat with everyone on this thread.

Just got off the phone with the IRS about this issue.

The letter writing process has been closed.

But...when you file your 2020 tax return, there is a "rebate" area where you check it if you now have a Social Security number replacing the ITIN number. I expect Turbo Tax to include this in their 2020 tax software update...and they better!

CONFIRMED - 12/16/2020

(I hate having to wait for next year's refund deposit, but that's all we got. The agent was unable to predict what Congress is going to do this week. She said if she knew what they would do, she could give me the nex Powerball numbers, too. LoL!)

change ITIN to SSN

The stimulus reconciliation section in the 2020 program has nothing to do with the fact that a notice needs to be mailed in requesting the new SS# & ITIN be married together. This is nothing that the TT program can do for you.   And this notice will not stop you from filing the return however the 2020 return will need to be mailed in. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies