turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ldf_2016

Laid off and then moved but still unemployed can i deduct moving expenses

I did get a temp position 60 days after arriving at new location, but that contract ended and I'm now unemployed. Can I deduct my moving expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
RichardG

To qualify for the moving expense deduction, you must meet the following tests:

The distance test - Your new workplace must be at least 50 miles farther from your old home than your old job location was from your old home. If you had no previous workplace, your new job location must be at least 50 miles from your old home.

The time test - If you're an employee, you must work full-time for at least 39 weeks during the first 12 months immediately following your arrival in the general area of your new job location.  

You're not required to work 39 consecutive weeks or work for the same employer. Depending on your exact move date, you might meet this requirement sometime during the year.  If you want to file your tax returns now, you can amend your return later and claim the deduction if you meet the 39 week test later in the year.

Now what if you moved to a new location for a job (say Boston to Charleston SC) worked for a year and then got laid off. So you move back to Boston. Does Moving back after you’ve been laid off count as a deductible?

@Eabbott1006 wrote:

Now what if you moved to a new location for a job (say Boston to Charleston SC) worked for a year and then got laid off. So you move back to Boston. Does Moving back after you’ve been laid off count as a deductible?

Moving expense are no longer deducible on a federal tax return, except for active military on Permanent Change of Station orders.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

No.  Effective for tax years 2018 through 2025, the exclusion for qualified moving expense reimbursements applies only to members of the U.S. Armed Forces on active duty who move pursuant to a military order and incident to a permanent change of station. All other employees have only non-qualified moving expenses and expense reimbursements subject to tax and withholding.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies