Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Filed as a dependent by mistake! (Stimulus Check?)

I’m 22. My mom didn’t claim me. I should be the one claiming her. She claimed my sister alone. I guess that’s why the correction was accepted by the irs. I pay the full rent and all the bills. I just need to know if I’ll get my check since they accepted the correction. 

I helped my mom using the non filers tool. I wasn’t claimed at all 

@Eniiwinner Thanks for replying with details.  Sadly--it is taking much longer than the "normal" four months for the IRS to process amended returns.  Even though your e-filed amended return was accepted quickly, do not expect the IRS to process it quickly and issue a stimulus check to you. The stimulus money people received this year is really an advance on a credit you can get when you file your 2020 return, so you will be able to claim it then.

And....with the circumstances you describe, it might be possible for you to claim both your mom and your sister as your dependents.  You said your mom does not work.  Does she have any income (not counting Social Security)?  

In addition to the criteria already given, try going through the IRS interview to see what it tells you about claiming  your mom and sister.

IRS interview to help determine who can be claimed:

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/who-can-i-claim-as-a-dependent

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you for replying. No, my mom doesn’t work at all and has never worked in the US. We moved over to the USA last year. My mom would start working by the beginning of next year. My kid sister is 17, initially she didn’t get the check but it came in about 2 months ago. I also have an older sister that didn’t check the dependents box, & she got her own check. In total, we are 4. 3 got their checks & I’m the only one left out without my check. We are permanent residents too. I’ll just wait to see what the irs decides. I can wait till 2020 to get it. I just want to have the money in the end. 

Also, my mom doesn’t have any income at all. She spends the money I and my older sister gives to her.

lsoto811

Same here, no one claimed me as their dependent. I filed an amendment to adjust my status to independent. Did that in March and amendment was accepted.

But still haven't received anything from IRS, in terms of the stimulus package. 

Not sure if I'll ever see that stimulus check..

Any updates from those with similar situations?

you will be able to 'settle up' on your 2020 tax return..... see line 30 of the new 1040 when it is published. 

gunshyy

Hey so I'm in the same boat as everyone in here.

My parents haven't claimed me in years but I've been filing as "someone else can claim me" in their taxes. So I asked them if they got $500 extra in their stimulus and they said no. I didn't receive nothing. My sister got hers because she didn't file as "someone else can claim me." So now I'm thinking of amending my taxes and fix that error or should I wait until the 2020 tax season and see line 30 of the new 1040 form? Thanks!

@gunshyy wrote:

Hey so I'm in the same boat as everyone in here.

My parents haven't claimed me in years but I've been filing as "someone else can claim me" in their taxes. So I asked them if they got $500 extra in their stimulus and they said no. I didn't receive nothing. My sister got hers because she didn't file as "someone else can claim me." So now I'm thinking of amending my taxes and fix that error or should I wait until the 2020 tax season and see line 30 of the new 1040 form? Thanks!

Don't bother amending the 2019 tax return.  The stimulus was an advance tax credit for those that received it in 2020.

You can apply for the stimulus payment on the 2020 tax return to be filed in 2021.

But you may need or want to amend the prior years if something else will change on your return by claiming yourself.  Like if you did not get the full Standard Deduction.

Veroaparicio11
Returning Member

My problem might be worse. I filed as a non-filer thinking it was to add my bank information and ended up messing up my mother’s taxes. Im worried about the consequences.

Is this also the case for the next round of stimulus payments, where the payments are really an advance tax credit and I can still receive it in 2021 if I didn't get it in 2020?  Thank you. 

@damonzsomz28 wrote:

Is this also the case for the next round of stimulus payments, where the payments are really an advance tax credit and I can still receive it in 2021 if I didn't get it in 2020?  Thank you. 

How this is going to work is not known until and if the legislation is signed into law.  Then the IRS must give guidance on how any stimulus is going to be distributed.

I have been paying takes for a long time and NEVER was a dependent.  TURBO TAX , the software put me as a dependent even though I did not check that box and I got 0 for stimulus checks. This company is a disgrace and I will never use it again.

I have been paying takes for a long time and NEVER was a dependent.  TURBO TAX , the software put me as a dependent even though I did not check that box and I got 0 for stimulus checks. This company is a disgrace and I will never use it again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies