turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim dental expenses if I claim my daughter as a dependent and she used money to pay those dental expenses that she received from disability?

My daughter went on disability and received a lump sum back payment. She used most of this money to pay medical and dental expenses.  I am claiming her as a dependent.  Can I claim those medical and dental expenses on my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I claim dental expenses if I claim my daughter as a dependent and she used money to pay those dental expenses that she received from disability?

No, in order to claim the expenses on your return you would need to have paid them.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You cannot claim medical expenses on your tax return that you did not pay with your out pocket funds.

No, in order to claim the expenses on your return you would need to have paid them.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies