cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

Can I claim dental expenses if I claim my daughter as a dependent and she used money to pay those dental expenses that she received from disability?

My daughter went on disability and received a lump sum back payment. She used most of this money to pay medical and dental expenses.  I am claiming her as a dependent.  Can I claim those medical and dental expenses on my taxes?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 3

Can I claim dental expenses if I claim my daughter as a dependent and she used money to pay those dental expenses that she received from disability?

No, in order to claim the expenses on your return you would need to have paid them.

2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

You cannot claim medical expenses on your tax return that you did not pay with your out pocket funds.
Level 3

No, in order to claim the expenses on your return you would need to have paid them.