Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

S60T
Level 1

TurboTax e-filing fees for State is misleading, $25 instead of $20 as mentioned in software

I used TurboTax Premier version to file Federal and State (VA) taxes.  When I was filing, the software showed the e-filing fees for State is $20.

TurboTax Filing Page - Original.png

When I went ahead and ordered e-filing for State, I get to a billing web page and the fees was $25.

VA State Bill - No Address.png

I was really mad, not because of that $5 but because of the low level unethical, bait and switch scheme employed by the nationally known software and company.  

If anybody starts a class action lawsuit, just let me know. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

36 Replies

TurboTax e-filing fees for State is misleading, $25 instead of $20 as mentioned in software

Fees increase in March..   If you read the fine print on your packaging for the software you will see that it tells you the fees are subject to change.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
S60T
Level 1

The "Regular State filing fee (i.e., $25)" AND "limited time offer's DEADLINE" should be on the software's "You're almost ready to file" page.  Not just the temporarily reduced "TurboTax State E-file $20".

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Prices are listed on our website and states that prices are subject to change without notice. The discount expired on 2/28/21. Currently, everything is regular price. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MyKe1

I’ve always wondered who gets the $25 for filing state taxes.  Is it a “convenience fee” that TurboTax charges?  Does the state charge it?  I can’t imagine the state charging it because e-filing saves them so much labor vs having to have to pay people to input a mailed in  paper return.  You’d think they wouldn’t do anything to discourage people from e-filing.  Can you shed any light onto where the $25 is going?

Hal_Al
Level 15

It goes to TurboTax.

You don't have to pay it you live in NY (NY basically has a law making TT file it for free).

There's not e-filing fee using TT online.  It just the desktop users who pay it. 

I agree with you on the fee and think it is wrong...regardless of subject to change, etc...

This is not a small company and they have smart tech people handling the software.

I used the downloaded version and the software has downloaded multiple updates since I started working on my return, even two nights ago. If the prices change after a certain date, that should be part of the updates that are downloaded.

What is more frustrating is when your return says you owe $20, in my case $40 because I have two states, but when you click to pay, the amount being charged is $50, not the $40 that the system was saying that you owed.  That is like going to the Wal-mart and the tag of the item says $40, but when you go ring up, it rings up as $50.  Wal-mart is going to to check the tag and if it said $40, they are going to charge you $40 and fix it for the next person.  I have a screen shot showing I owe $40, but TurboTax wants $50 when I put in my card information. 

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

If there is a discrepancy on what your fees show in TurboTax as due and what you are being prompted to pay, please follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ to contact customer support for assistance:  What is the TurboTax phone number?

@Honeymanmba

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I found it to be bait and switch as well.  I purchased the software in time to save money on the State return, but filed on April 13th (not even a Friday 13th) and after everything was ready then asked to make the payment.  A better, more transparent approach, would have been a countdown feature showing how many days remaining before being charged.  Even better, if there is a discount at time of purchase, that discount should apply during use regardless of date.  I'm sure the legal phrases were disclosed to keep them from being sued, but it harms intuit's reputation to have a bait-and-switch policy executed like this.  Customers will remember how they felt after experiencing this.

I agree. The $20 reference was in the program itself as I wrapped up taxes. A few minutes later when I went to e-file, it was $25. ... Not right to do!  ... This coupled,  with Intuit now always pushing new product, will make me look for a new vendor next year.  Their download software is feeling “old” and in need of refresh. 

Thanks for the comment. I called customer service about it and they said they didn't know why the software showed $20 but it should be $25 and I needed to pay $25.  They didn't care that I had a screenshot showing the $20.  Miraculous thing is when I logged in the next time, my screen at that step now said I owed $25 for each state instead of the $20 the night before.  Wrong, just wrong.

What pi***ed me off was not the $5 or the $20 but the $25 because I have ALWAYS filed the state by mail. I chose to "just simply" do the e-file because everything was loaded in with driver's licence, all the other info, bank crap, everything I had spent time on for the Fed. And WHOOOOOOOOP. At the very end, after TT relentlessly pushed the e-file, I get this $25 charge at the last minute. Where was the Big, bold copy that states, YOU WILL NOT BE CHARGED A FEE FOR STATE IF YOU PRINT OUT AND MAIL IN. TurboTax will charge you $25"  instead of the "most people do efile with both" and "safe and simple" and "we make it easy" Just so weaselly. I've used TT for about 15 years and I've always "just simply" printed out my returns and mailed in my check when I had taxes due. So, this 'just because we can' efiling charge was egregious. 

Every time I log in TurboTax updates the program.  I WOULD NOT be difficult to change the $20 to a $25 in the code...IF INTUIT WANTED TO DO SO... AND BE HONEST WITH BUYERS!!  Classic bait and switch.  Maybe they will choke on my 5 bucks! 

Agree with the bait & switch! Clearly shows it will be $20, then they charge $25. It's only $5 (well $10, for 2 returns). It's not the money - it's the principle. Disgusting.

It is bad that I paid $25 for a state efiling instead of the said $20 on Turbotax popup screen. Not trusted. Feel bad. I expect Turbotax to honor $20/state efiling for everyone.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies