Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax charged me $40 to deposit my State Tax Refund

I purchased the CD version of 2019 TT with States. I had a state refund and selected to deposit the refund into my bank.  I paid, by credit card, the $24.99 e-filing fee for my Oregon return. My refund had $40 deducted. I contacted TT Support who informed me that TT charges to deposit my State Refund into my bank account.

I can't find any info about this. I do think I paid the $24.99 for e-filing my state and TT charged me the $40 to take the e-filing fee out of my refund.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

No, somebody misunderstood something.  There is no charge to get Direct Deposit, ever.  There is a charge to have the 24.99 fee deducted from your federal refund.  Check your credit card and make sure you paid it from your credit card.  It is easy to click on the wrong button on the pay screen.

RTF Desktop.jpg

By the way, which refund had the $40 deducted?  Federal or state?  Maybe the state adjusted your return for something.  If it was from federal for the fee it would be $64.98 deducted (24.99+39.99).

Hi VolvoGirl,

My credit card statement show the $24.99 charge for the e-filing fee.

If you paid the 24.99 twice call again and explain it differently.  Say it's for the Desktop State efile fee.

Contact Customer Service
5am-9pm Pacific Time Monday - Sunday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Hi,

The $40 was deducted from the State refund.  I owed on the Federal.  I do not have any outstanding debts with the State of Oregon that would allow them to reduce my refund.  If Oregon did adjust my refund it would be a TurboTax error.

My question was escalated during my call to a  higher up.  He is the one that told me "that TT charges $40 to have your refund deposited into your bank account".  But he goes on, "Since I'm (meaning TT support) in a good mood today, I'm refunding the $24.99 e-filing fee that will show up in 2-3 weeks on your credit card.". 

I accepted his answer and the call ended.  I did more research on the $40 fee for bank deposits and now I  am reaching out for an answer.

I can provide the TT case #.  I have a confirmation e-mail about  the refund of $24.99 e-filing fee.

I believe that TT charged me the $40 in error but, instead of admitting they made an error, refund the $24.99 e-filing fee. I should be refunded the $40.

Turbo Tax doesn't touch your state refund.  It can't take anything out of it or charge you for depositing it.  The state had to reduce your refund or you were mistaken on the refund amount.  If the state changed your refund they will eventually mail you a letter.

I'm not challenging your expertise but I need to understand.  I have a 10 year background in accounting and 25 years as a computer programmer/analyst, so I do not consider myself as being dumb.

You say that TT would never take any $$ out of a state refund.  If I hadn't paid the $24.99 e-filing fee TT  does say in the dialog that $39.99 ($40) would be taken out of my state refund instead.

@Bshelden49 wrote:

I'm not challenging your expertise but I need to understand.  I have a 10 year background in accounting and 25 years as a computer programmer/analyst, so I do not consider myself as being dumb.

You say that TT would never take any $$ out of a state refund.  If I hadn't paid the $24.99 e-filing fee TT  does say in the dialog that $39.99 ($40) would be taken out of my state refund instead.

Are you referring to the Refund Processing Fee for paying the TurboTax fees from the federal tax refund with a service charge of $39.99 (see screenshot)

TTD Refund Processing.JPG

And that is only if you had a Federal REFUND to take the fees out of.  Are you sure you had a federal tax due?  You wouldn't even get the choice to take the 24.99 (+ the $39.99) out of a refund if you owed on federal.  

How much did you owe on federal?  At the end Turbo Tax does show you the combined net amount of federal and state.  But that is only for your own info.  Did you received the state refund yet?  Was it for less?  I would wait and see what the state sends.  But if you got a refund from Turbo Tax for the 24.99 then you got the state efile for free.  So that's good.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies