turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have no idea what the "total of all payments and withholdings" is for my CT and MA local/state tax refund.

I can see federal income tax withheld, social security tax withheld,  and Medicare tax withheld. I'm assuming that's not the withholdings this is referring to and therefore I have no idea what to put here.

I have 2 tax refunds, one from Connecticut and one from Massachusetts

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have no idea what the "total of all payments and withholdings" is for my CT and MA local/state tax refund.

1. Look on your Form W-2 for 2016. In box 17 of the W-2, you will find your annual state withhold.
  2. Total payments and withholdings are the sums of boxes 17 on your W2 forms, plus any additional estimated taxes paid, in that particular state.
  3. Once you enter the information for state 1 (CT or MA), please repeat the same steps for state 2 (CT or MA).

[Edited 01.11.18 | 3:19 PM]

View solution in original post

9 Replies

1. Look on your Form W-2 for 2016. In box 17 of the W-2, you will find your annual state withhold.
  2. Total payments and withholdings are the sums of boxes 17 on your W2 forms, plus any additional estimated taxes paid, in that particular state.
  3. Once you enter the information for state 1 (CT or MA), please repeat the same steps for state 2 (CT or MA).

[Edited 01.11.18 | 3:19 PM]

To clarify, does this mean that number should be the same for all states that you enter?

Why 2016?? We are in 2020 and we are all trying to file our 2019 stuff. So we need to look at 2018 for the state stuff? Why are u saying to look at 2016 what does 2016 have to do with my 2019 taxes, why does turbo tax say 2018? And why are u saying 2016?

This. I keep seeing "2016" in the answers to all these questions asked recently, and it just makes things more confusing. 

KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

The Total payments and withholding would be amounts that were paid in to those states (since we are filing for 2019, we would be looking at these for 2018.)

Payments would be either estimated payments mailed to the state (not likely), or actual payments that were due on your state or local income tax return

Withholding would be amounts on your W2 or 1099's that were withheld for State or Local Tax.  On a 2018 W2 they would be Box 17 (State Income Tax) and Box 19 (Local Income Tax)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mcandrewsk
Returning Member

I have to report Refunds for Tax year 2015, 2016, and 2017 on my 2018 Taxes using info on Form 1099G. Do I use the total payments and withholding from 2014 for 2015; 2015 for 2016; and 2017 for 2018?

This is all an issue only if you itemized in one or more of those years and deducted state or local taxes on Schedule A.

If you didn't itemize you can skip all that Q&A.

What if I don’t have a W2 form just a 1099 form and I don’t have anything to put down for total of withheld/pmts? Do I not have to put anything down? 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

W-2s and 1099s are entered in different places in TurboTax. 1099s generally don’t have withholding, unless they are 1099-Rs for retirement distributions.

Don’t enter your 1099 in the W-2 section. Different types of 1099s go to different places.

Type the kind of 1099 (1099-misc, 1099-nec, 1099-r, etc.) in Search (magnifying glass) in the top right corner. The first result should say Jump to. Tap on that to go to the right place.

If you do not see a “Jump to” look at the search results in the box for more help.

@Lishalove_ 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies