Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Katina S
Intuit Alumni

Unable efile State return after successfully efiled Fed return

@Evra Did prepare your federal tax return with Turbo Tax. If you did, did you try selecting file by "mail" for your federal tax return?  Keep in mind, Turbo Tax is not designed to file your state tax return as a standalone .

Evra
Level 1

Hi Katina,

Thank you! I did prepare and e-file my federal tax return with Turbo tax and when I filed my federal return I clicked on the the "Do not e-file my state return now, I'll do it later" button. Unfortunately, now when I go to e-file the state return, I am asked to select a file option for the federal return again (though it has been accepted already). I can select file by mail for federal, but then I only have the option to file the state return by mail and not e-file. I thought the update I installed that was put out on Thursday was addressing this issue, but it seems I'm not having the same success as others in this discussion with similar challenges after updating.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support as your issue would be best resolved with one-on-one support. Support will be able to confirm the status of what returns were electronically filed and assist you from there.

Please follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ to contact Customer Support: What is the TurboTax phone number?

@Evra

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You are still asked to select to e-file the Federal Return before you can e-file your State Return but your Federal Return will not be e-filed again.  The program will show you that your Federal Return has already been e-filed and then will proceed with e-filing your State Return.

I'm having the same issue on March 25th. Turbo has not been able to successfully resolve for me. Getting conflicting information from customer service people. Software is not performing as advertised. Consumer expects e-filing capability or notification as to why this operation can't be performed. Seeking refund for software.

NashayLO
Intuit Alumni

@TaxLady1975 It has been reported that this issue is fixed, however, Please see this TurboTax FAQ, just to make sure you are following these steps, How do I e-file my state after I already filed my federal?

To request a refund, please see, How do I request a refund for my TurboTax product?

This was completely unhelpful information. The situation remains unresolved. Both of my forms were efiled at the same time and turbo never notified me that the state was not efiled. The software has not performed as advertised and after speaking with 4 different customer service representatives, the issue remains outstanding without any useful information. No one is able to tell me why my state was not efiled along with my Fed or why I am unable to perform the function now. Any sincere help would be appreciated. Thank you.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

I recommend trying to delete and then re-add your state and then try to refile your state income tax return as this may rectify the issue and update your software.  Be sure to review the state interview questions again to ensure your return is populated and prepared correctly. 

Please see the link below for guidance on how to do this.

Clear state return in Desktop version

@TaxLady1975

Same issue! Nothing on this forum seems to resolve issue.  Automatic Voice dumps me off call.  Support is unacceptable with paid product.  

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Once your federal return has been accepted you should be able to e-file your state return. 

To e-file your state return:

1. In TurboTax Online, sign in to your account.
  2. Select Tax Home in the left menu.
  3. Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents.
  4. Select 2020, and then select Add a State (you're not actually adding a state, this just gets you into the right area).
  5. Select File in the left menu (expand your browser window if you don't see this, or select the menu icon in the top left corner).
  6. On the Just one more step screen, follow steps 1 and 2 if you haven't already.
  7. Select the Start button to the right of Step 3.
  8. On the Let's get ready to e-file screen, select I want to e-file.
  9. Follow the instructions to e-file your return.

@dfw700

My issue might be similar to this ! I did my federal and state taxes but for some reason my state taxes didn’t efile . I went back and realized this after my federal was accepted, and tried to change it. Whenever I click on the state tax, it loads for a literal millisecond, and then takes me back to the homepage. I have showed this online to customer service LIVE, I have updated my app, I have tried on desktop and different devices. It doesn’t work, and that is money that could be in my pocket. It’s been 3 months of this. 

Wkorinke

Unable to efile CO State return after successfully efiled Fed return

@Wkorinke wrote:

Unable to efile CO State return after successfully efiled Fed return

A state tax return cannot be e-filed until after the e-filed federal tax return has been accepted by the IRS.  The IRS will not be accepting any type of 2021 tax return until on and after January 24, 2022.

I have paid to File my NC State tax. I have to file by mail.  As per instructions .How do I get my credit back on my card?

@William White 2 wrote:

I have paid to File my NC State tax. I have to file by mail.  As per instructions .How do I get my credit back on my card?

The North Carolina Individual Income Tax Return Form D-400 is not yet available for e-filing.  It is estimated to be available on 02/24/2022

Go to this TurboTax website for North Carolina state forms availability - https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_nc_online_individual.html

If you want to e-file your federal tax return now then change how you file the NC state return.  This assumes that all of the forms and schedules included in your federal tax return are available for e-filing.

If using the TurboTax online editions click on File on the left side of the online program screen.  On Step 3 of the File section click on Start or Revisit.  Select the button File by Mail.  Then change the filing status of the state return.

After the federal return is e-filed and accepted by the IRS you can e-file the state return when it is available for e-filing.  Just use the same procedure and change the state return back to e-filing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies