turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax Deluxe State Efile Charging $25

Hello,

I subscribe to TurboTax Advantage and downloaded TurboTax 2018 when it became available.  I have completed my taxes, but when I tried to efile my state return, the one and only state return I have completed with TurboTax 2018, it wants me to pay $25 to efile my state return.  I thought this was supposed to be free???

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Sorry... my point was NOT that TurboTax Advantage provided an e-file benefit.  My concern is more about I paid $70 for TurboTax  Deluxe and don't get a free state e-file.  Now I see TurboTax Deluxe comes with a free state download... state e-file is an additional cost... ugh!

View solution in original post

22 Replies

There is no e-file benefit with Advantage

Sorry... my point was NOT that TurboTax Advantage provided an e-file benefit.  My concern is more about I paid $70 for TurboTax  Deluxe and don't get a free state e-file.  Now I see TurboTax Deluxe comes with a free state download... state e-file is an additional cost... ugh!

correct - and it's been that way for over 20 years! 

Frankly, I save myself the $20 and just print and mail the state return - there is no requirement to e-file 

I agree I was lead to believe I had a free state tax filing and just got charged 25.00. is there a way to get a refund on this charge?

I did order the Turbo Tax Deluxe to get the free filing for state.

You get one free state PROGRAM download to prepare unlimited state returns. Then each state return (including the first one) is 19.99 to efile, usually goes up to 24.99 March 1. Or you can print and mail state for free.  

Box or invoice says  Federal+Efile+State.  It doesn't say state efile.  It also says on the back of my CD case in the comparison chart....

1 state product via download (print free  or efile for $19.99 each) prices subject to change without notice.

bobwagan

Thank you, I understand that, my problem is that the software is not calculating, could be software problem??

I bought my Turbo Tax at Staples.  It included 1 state.  I am finishing my first tax return and am being asked to pay $29.00.  How can I get credit for my "free" state return?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

The free state return refers to the free download of the separate state program. (TurboTax state software is a separate program from the federal, although they work together.)

It is free to download one state's software, and to print and mail the return (or any number of state returns for that one state), but to electronically file the return is the $29.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dean65

I purchased TurboTax Deluxe which stated that there was one State E-file included as I understood at time of purchase and it also indicated that as I started to go through the program. However, when a finished with the E-File for State, the one and only state, it charged me $20??

I went ahead and charged this to my credit card so I could finish. How will I get a refund for this charge. I i will receive it [please just credit the credit card I used.

@dean65   sorry, 

You get one free state PROGRAM download to prepare unlimited state returns.  Some people need to file in more than one state so they have to buy another state program.

Then each state return (including the first one) is $20 to efile, usually goes up to $25 March 1.  Or you can print and mail state for free.

Box says Federal Returns & Federal E-File plus State Returns.  It does not say state efile is included.  It also says on the back of my CD case in the comparison chart....

1 state product via download (print free  or efile for $19.99 each) prices subject to change without notice.

And click on 1 state download on Deluxe or above on the Desktop CD/Download page.  Then in the pop up box scroll down to the very bottom.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/ 

@dean65 wrote:

I purchased TurboTax Deluxe which stated that there was one State E-file included as I understood at time of purchase and it also indicated that as I started to go through the program. However, when a finished with the E-File for State, the one and only state, it charged me $20??

I went ahead and charged this to my credit card so I could finish. How will I get a refund for this charge. I i will receive it [please just credit the credit card I used.

There is one free state program download included in the purchase price for the Deluxe edition.  Not a free state tax return e-file.

The e-file charge for a state tax return using the desktop editions is currently $20.  

I was thinking the same. Once I finished all the work and aswered all their questions diligentlyh, Turbo tax held me hostage for $25.00. After all the hard work, I just paid the $25 and filed the tax. 

Exact wording on the Cover:

• FederalReturns + Federal E-File
  • State Returns

They should refund the $25, period. If not, it definetely is false advertising. There is more competition out there!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies