Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TK721

In box 15 the state of Tennessee is missing

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies

TN has no state income tax so there are going to drop down lists on some screens that do not include TN.  Leave it blank.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Hal_Al
Level 15

Are you saying you got  a paper W-2 and TN was in box 15?  You shouldn't have.  If yes, what was in boxes 16 and 17?

Yes, TN is in box 15, there's nothing in 16 or 17 because there's no state income tax.   Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming don't have income tax either, but they're all listed in the dropdown list.  I'm thinking if there's something in Box 15, we should add it in TurboTax the way I've done for the past 30+ years.  It seems like it's just an oversight this year. (I'm using TurboTax Home and Business).

Hal_Al
Level 15

As xmasbaby0 said, just leave box 15 blank at the TT W-2 screen.  There is nothing for it to be used on. 

I agree with you, it's an update that some (very few) user's may need.  But you don't, if all your wages are earned in TN.

I've notified TT of the glitch

Why is TN the only state with no state tax missing all the others are there like ALASKA etc. Normally you would at least fill in TN and NO WO?

@lisa-spitters wrote:

Why is TN the only state with no state tax missing all the others are there like ALASKA etc. Normally you would at least fill in TN and NO WO?

Tennessee does not have a personal income tax.  Leave boxes 15 thru 20 blank on the W-2

I'm stalled from moving on to filing my taxes on line because it keeps telling me to correct one problem, which is selecting a state from the dropdown menu that is not there to select (TN). I can't leave it blank.

HELP?

@ptbres wrote:

I'm stalled from moving on to filing my taxes on line because it keeps telling me to correct one problem, which is selecting a state from the dropdown menu that is not there to select (TN). I can't leave it blank.

HELP?

Tennessee does not have a personal income tax.  Leave boxes 15 thru 20 blank on the W-2

There is no "blank" option in the drop-down menu, so leaving it blank is not an option in the software that I can see.

You do not choose "blank" from the drop down.  You just do not enter anything there.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

This could be user error on my part, but I when I do not select anything on this question, which is what I've been doing, when I finish this federal tax section and try to move on, it keeps telling me to go back and fix this one issue before I can move on to "file my return." Any advice would be welcome.

I'm having the same issue. It won't let me move on unless I enter a state (TN) from the drop down menu. Tn is the ONLY state that is missing. 

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

"Trashcan" at the end of the line to delete the entire line.  TN does not tax wages.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for that answer! Near the end I recognized what looked like the trashcan icon next to those lines and thought maybe that was what it might be for, but as a first time user I was fearful that it would delete more than I wanted to.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies