turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jmabides

Can I e-file California state tax return with Schedule C and Form 8829? I have done this in the past but Turbo Tax says that I cannot now.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

55 Replies

Can I e-file California state tax return with Schedule C and Form 8829? I have done this in the past but Turbo Tax says that I cannot now.

You may be aware that in late December Congress passed a major tax reform bill.  That has the IRS scrambling to get tax return forms ready for this tax filing season.  They were waiting for the laws to pass.

Some forms are not finalized so you cannot file.  The IRS has to finalize a number of forms and then approve the finalized forms in the TT software.  Many state forms are not finalized either.  What's the rush?  The IRS will not be accepting returns until January 29 at the earliest, so filing early will not get you a faster refund.  The earliest refunds will not be released until mid to late February.  You just have to wait for the forms to be ready.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908854-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-federal-products-exc...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908857-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-state-except-bu...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
jmabides

Thanks.  The notice on Turbo Tax says "cannot e-file" for California with a Sched C or for 8829, not simply that the forms would not be available until a later date.  I have been able to e-file with these in the past and was wondering if this has changed.

Please click the links that were provided to you and read what they say.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
jmabides

I did. They provide no further information.

Really--you did not see that Form 8829 will not be available until 1-18-2018?  It is right there if you read the information.
jmabides

I read the forms.  I am talking about California State taxes.  Really no need to keep answering if you don't have any additional information.

If you click "Review" it will tell you what you are waiting for, too.  Form 8829 is the federal form for claiming home office.   You cannot e-file a state return until you have e-filed your federal return.  So CA will have to wait until you can file your federal return.

For one thing you can not file state until your federal return is accepted and the IRS won't start taking returns until Jan 29 Even though you can submit your efile to Turbo Tax but they will just hold them until the IRS opens on Jan 29. See https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2018-tax-filing-season-begins-jan-29-tax-returns-due-april-17-help-avai...
jmabides

Yes, I understand the federal form will be available for e-file.  If you read my question, I was asking about Schedule C and 8829 for California State, which I was able to e-file in the past but when I reviewed through Turbo Tax it said not available to e-file.
jmabides

I didn't see VolvoGirl's response until now.  Thank you both.

Were you ever able to efile your State? I am having that message now on Turbo with my Schedule C. Says, form available 1/23 then it says can not efile? WTH? I have never had this issue before.

@Puravida143 wrote:

Were you ever able to efile your State? I am having that message now on Turbo with my Schedule C. Says, form available 1/23 then it says can not efile? WTH? I have never had this issue before.

The Schedule C on your federal tax return has not yet been finalized for e-filing.  Click on Review to see the forms and schedules for your return and the dates they will be available for filing.

TurboTax support FAQ for IRS forms availability - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/irs-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-pe...

It says the date the form will be available, but in the column that says Available to efile-it clearly states Cannot efileScreen Shot 2020-01-07 at 2.08.33 PM.png

Hey there I just wanted to come by and say my Sch C says the same thing. On that link it says available to e-file by 1/16/2020. I’m just gonna wait. I always do my taxes early and I remember last year it said something about some forms not being ready just can’t remember exactly what forms. Can anyone confirm if the link says it’s to be released 1/16. I couldn’t really understand everything on that chart.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies