Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DianeC958
Expert Alumni

Can I e-file California state tax return with Schedule C and Form 8829? I have done this in the past but Turbo Tax says that I cannot now.

Yes you can efile beginning 1/27/20

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Can I e-file California state tax return with Schedule C and Form 8829? I have done this in the past but Turbo Tax says that I cannot now.

I just finished my taxes and got this same response with filing my CA return. Have never had this happen before, it always just has a date or TBD, not “cannot e-file”. Hoping someone can give a clear answer because I’m not finding one anywhere. Not sure if that means file by mail will be the only option. Thanks!

Curious of why it says “cannot e-file” instead of available 1/27/20

thanks!

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

California 8829 is not supported by e-File this year.   

In your situation, both the federal and state 8829 forms are still not ready.

The federal Form 8829 should be available for print AND eFile. 

However, the California 8829 was not ready in time for the eFile system to be properly configured, and you will need to mail your state return this year to claim expenses for the business use of your home.  Also, the form is not yet ready to print.

You can eFile your federal return even though you cannot eFile your state.  

To find out when federal forms are estimated to be available, click on this link TurboTax IRS Availability.

To find out about your state forms, click on this link TurboTax State Forms Availability.

Oh My God, what does this mean?

https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_ca_online_individual.html

Schedule C: Business Income     01/30/2020     unsupported

Does it mean everybody who worked self employed (including all Uber/Lyft drivers, literally tons of people) can't e-file now? Unsupported. Shock.

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Yes - that means that you won't be able to e-file your CA return if it contains Schedule C or Form 8829.  CA would like to see a paper copy of these forms.  You can still e-file your federal return, though!

@alexandeributenk

On mine, for my State Schedule C it changed the available date from 1/29 to 2/6 but it clearly still says I can not e-file?? I don't understand this at all.

According to another Turbo tax Expert, You can not efile your State of CA form 8829 or Schedule C this year.

So just form 8829? I do not see you mentioned anything for Schedule C Profit & Loss, although, it clearly shows I can not efile. 

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

That is correct. California Schedule C and 8829 cannot be e-Filed for the tax year 2019

The best source for current information is at this link: TurboTax State Forms Availability.

When it reads unsupported under the e-File column, taxpayers who need to file these forms will have to mail their returns. 

There is a bit of confusion in this thread as the initial question posted referred to the 2018 tax forms.  

jc877

If we need to mail in our schedule C with state taxes, why do we still need to pay the $40 state filing fee since California won’t even allow us to e-file? The entire reason why I would pay $40 to file with TurboTax is so that I can e-file. If e-filing isn’t an option anymore, why charge the $40 and the $90 for the software if we need to print these forms anyways? 

Will TurboTax help people mail in these forms? How will TurboTax help the millions of Californians who must file a schedule C if they were freelancers, Uber/Lyft drivers, any 1099 contractors, or self-employed?

@jc877 wrote:

If we need to mail in our schedule C with state taxes, why do we still need to pay the $40 state filing fee since California won’t even allow us to e-file? The entire reason why I would pay $40 to file with TurboTax is so that I can e-file. If e-filing isn’t an option anymore, why charge the $40 and the $90 for the software if we need to print these forms anyways? 

Will TurboTax help people mail in these forms? How will TurboTax help the millions of Californians who must file a schedule C if they were freelancers, Uber/Lyft drivers, any 1099 contractors, or self-employed?

There are no e-file fees using the TurboTax online editions.  The TurboTax account fees are for the use of the software to assist in completing a tax return.  The account fees are the same whether a tax return is e-filed or printed for mailing.

jc877

Does the same form I send to federal get sent to the state? I don’t understand why I need to pay $40 when I can fill out a schedule C on my own. Especially if they require you to mail it in this year. What’s the benefit of paying $40 for my state return if federal is free and I need to mail the state one in anyways?

jc877

After some research, it seems the same information gets transferred over. I’ve never had to mail anything in before. E-file is so much better and I would have preferred to e-file. Will TurboTax have a solution to help millions of customers mail in to CA?

From my understanding, CA doesn’t have their own Schedule C. So the stuff you send for federal return is the same as the CA return, unless you have other adjustments that is allowed by CA, which I don’t.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies