turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm trying to file 2019 taxes for myself and my Husband. It keeps asking for his net Income. But I haven't filed his yet. How do I get around this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I'm trying to file 2019 taxes for myself and my Husband. It keeps asking for his net Income. But I haven't filed his yet. How do I get around this?

If you are legally married and living together you can only file your tax return as either Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately.  You would want to file as Married Filing Jointly for the best tax outcome for you and your spouse.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for filing jointly versus separately - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/married/help/is-it-better-for-a-married-couple-to-file-jointly-or-...

If for some reason you think you need to file Separately the only information concerning your spouse on your federal tax return is his name and Social Security number.  When filing separately you both must use the Standard Deduction or you both must use Itemized Deductions.

What filing status are you using on the tax return?

If you are trying to do a community property state situation AND  you are using the downloaded program then  you can close your return and start his ... the downloaded version can complete more than one return and you will need to know things from both returns for the other one. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies