turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Free State Filing

I filed my state tax and was asked to pay for the filing.   This is my first time using the tax program.  Apparently, there is a bug in the system.  What are the steps to receiving my refund?  I had the exact same issue last year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Free State Filing

Did you use the CD/download?

When you use desktop software, there is an additional fee to e-file a state return.  You can avoid that fee if you print, sign and mail the state return.  The state e-file fee is $19.99 and increases in March.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Free State Filing

Every year I receive the Deluxe W/Fed EFile and Free State Download Win CD-ROM by mail.  I have been receiving Turbotax for over twenty years by mail.   I had this issue last year when I had to contact TurboTax to receive my refund for the State Tax efiling.   I don't know if there is an issue with the software but for the amount of money that I pay for this software I shouldn't continue to have this issue.  Has anyone else file their taxes and had to pay for the state tax efile?

Free State Filing

There has always been a fee to e-file the state return when you use the CD/download. You get the software to prepare the state return, but pay to e-file it.    You can avoid that fee by printing, signing and mailing the state return.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Free State Filing

Don't understand what the problem is.  If you've been using the Desktop program every year you should know it is 19.99 (now $20) to efile each state return.  Or you can print and mail state for free.  

Where did you buy Deluxe?  Deluxe comes 2 ways, Deluxe with a free state program download and Deluxe without state for states that don't have an income tax.

The free state refers to a free state PROGRAM DOWNLOAD, not filing a state return.  It doesn't need to explain that printing and mailing is free.  Only that there is a 19.99/24.99 fee to efile a state return.

You get one free state PROGRAM download to prepare unlimited state returns.  Some people need to file in more than one state so they have to buy another state program.

Free State Filing

If you never noticed the state efile fee before you might have had it deducted from a federal refund.  But there is an Extra $40 Refund Processing Service charge (45 in California) for that service.  Or you printed and mailed the state return.

RTF Desktop.jpg

Free State Filing

This is the documentation I have received from my Intuit TurboTax.  

"Taxpayers who need to file a state return AND qualify to prepare and file their federal return for free with Intuit TurboTax Free File Program, may also prepare and file their state return for free. TurboTax directly imports your federal tax return into your state return to save you time and to help ensure your data is accurate.

If you are eligible to prepare and file your federal and state returns for free with Intuit TurboTax Free File Program, start now."

My paid a total of $72.96 for the Deluxe TurboTax (MO) software.  Last year when the issue presented itself I was refunded the $19.99 from TurboTax.  You would have to purchase the correct software program to receive the free state efile.  

Free State Filing

The Free Edition and Free File website are only in the Online browser versions.  You can't compare Online and Desktop programs.

Free State Filing

Are you in New York?  There has always been a fee to efile a state return from the Desktop program except in New York.  Check your credit card statements or you could have had the fees deducted from a federal refund.  Or you printed and mailed the state return.

See the Desktop prices here.  Notice under each price it says...

Includes 5 federal efiles and 1 state download.  State efile additional.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

when you click on 1 state download you get this pop up box

StateEfile2.jpg

And on the CD case see 1 State product....(Print Free or efile 19.99)

StateEfile1.JPG

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies