Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Form 8582: Activity Description

Thank you so much for sharing good news. However, we need our money back from TurboTax. 

Just call customer service . . . they will send you a link to request a refund . . . I DID!!!

Doing it now... will probably be my new software because the business version is compatible with Mac.

scrogged

Found 1 workaround just now.  If you do not have any dollar entries on the MD 8582 passive form, go to VIEWS, forms, go to line 9 where it says $0, hit override and delete the entry altogether so it is "blank". I then got a congratulations you removed the error and it let me delete the form and I have no errors now. If you have $ entries on MD 8582, this didn't seem to work. Hope this helps.

Where is “views”??? When you go to tools and then forms, it’s not listed at all. Where are you doing this editing and “overriding?” 

That's great but too much work for the price TurboTax is charging, used TAXACT with no issues for the business and individual.  If TurboTax is reading this chain, they should really be doing something spectacular to win back all these frustrated customers.

I am unable to find "VIEWS" and what do you mean by hitting "overide"????  How do I do that?

Trying to following your post, and appreciate you sharing.  Just trying to understand better what you mean:):):)  I am old:):)

Thanks.

scrogged

The top tool bar has File, Edit, View, Tools, On-line.

When you get the error about Form 8582, go to View, Forms (not Step-by Step) and it will show you form 8582. Line 9, on mine, had a "$0". I right-clicked, selected "override" and the cell becomes pink or has a red box around it. I changed "$0" to blank and saved. I then got the because, congratulations you have no errors. i hit save and deleted the form.

No more issues. I tried to do the same on my daughter's taxes, but she actually has dollars at the top of the form and it wouldn't work for her.

Hope this helps.

Literally EVERYONE having this problem with form 8582, ESPECIALLY if you don’t even need the form, needs to head over to TacAct because they DO NOT have the same error issue!!

I just did my taxes with them, had a 1099-k, a 1099-g, charity deductions, school tuition, and medical expenses, and did everything for $170. That’s about the same I’ve been paying for “self-employees/contractor” filing with TurboTax for the last few years. If you don’t have self employed it’ll be far less, under $100 to file. 

turbo tax is flat out lying when either on the phone, here, or via social media they claim this to be a Maryland specific issue with a “form that has been updated and needed to be reissued and won’t be released till such and such date…” 

IT IS NOT A MARYLAND PROBLEM, bc other tax filing programs do not have the same issue; it’s TURBO TAX. 

I’d used them since the early 2000’s, too, guys, but this is sketchy bs. Time to dump them and move on. 
good luck. 

This solution has already been posted.

This issue that everyone is having is not having the 8582 form available to edit or remove in their documents. The warning still triggers but there is no form to delete for us.

Go to taxact. Trust me, I didn’t want to switch either, bc turbo tax has always been convenient and already has my previous year’s info, but switching was SO EASY. It’s the same step by step guided system, almost to a T, and I only had to pull my 2019 agi for the earned income credit. Took me the same amount of time filing as it did the FIRST time I tried to file this year with turbo tax, before getting the elusive 8582 error. I’m a TaxAct-er now. Adios, Turbo. Good luck everyone!!  And thanks to the folks who posted before me who let me know about using another program!! 

I tried to locate this and cannot.....I am on a MAC, shouldn't make a difference but ?

I am going to try TAXACT and see where I end up today with final results. It is bothersome that neither Maryland or Turbo Tax hasn't issued a simple response to what is happening.

PJ

your pushing tax act a bit too much....was your outcome the same or better with tax act.....refund/pay wise?

i reviewed tax act system yesterday.....explanations are hard to come buy, TT does a good job when we need to enter item amounts in for small business. I did not see that with TAXACT.....trust me, if there is another way or a better way and TT is not addressing the issue, I would be the first to go. I will look at taxact again today.

hate to spend more time but this is our money we are dealing with......thanks for the input though.

i have tried 3 so far....they are not the best at answering the question.

Espresso boy: i just filed with tax act and it was practically the same program turbo uses, I paid $170 but that’s bc I needed both federal and state of Maryland self-employed version, and that’s what I’d been paying with self employeed for turbo the last few years anyway. My refunds came out exactly the same as they had with turbo. 
literally the only difference was having to look up my 2019 agi from turbo tax to enter it into taxact for the earned income credit. 
Took the same amount of time, same refunds, very similar program, same price. Would be under $100 to file both fed and state for someone who has a regular w2, not a 1099 of any kind. 
No one is pushing anything. We’re answering questions to a serious problem that clearly ALL of Maryland is having with a bs turbo tax error, since clearly it works with other tax filing programs; it’s NOT a Maryland problem. It’s turbo. End of story. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies