Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8582: Activity Description

I keep getting the entry check error: Form 8582: Activity Description - This form is not ready to be filed due to a change in the federal form. It should be available soon. Is this an error for everyone or is it an input error on my part. I noticed that system generated errors do not necessarily point out the error for turbotax...

EDIT: I live in Maryland and have no properties. The only additional income I submitted other than my W-2 was a 1099-K that I received for transactions via PayPal. I input this information and was not prompted to go anywhere else.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

The Form 8582 is available for TurboTax Online, however the IRS still has it in draft and for TurboTax CD/Download it was scheduled to be available today.  Give it a little time before trying to file.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

I just spent 45 mins on the phone with 2 reps who also were very perplexed about this issue. I too reside in MD and do not own any rental income or otherwise have any condition in which this form applies to me or is required. The reps found the issue is being triggered by a 1099 form; specifically for me a 1099 MISC but not sure if other 1099 forms are also triggering the issue.

The specific form that is not yet available will be available on 2/10; the rep provided me with a link with the schedule of release for certain forms https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_md_online_individual.html

So basically nothing can be done to bypass this until then unfortunately. 

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

@steviebtu3   Assuming you have no passive activity losses in the current year, and none to carryover from prior years, Form 8582 is not necessary and thus, deleting it may resolve the issue you are having with Form 8582.  Follow these steps to delete Form 8582.

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  4. Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.

Here is a link to a TurboTax article discussing how to delete a form which you also may find helpful.

How to View and Delete Forms in TurboTax Online

122 Replies
Sc1996

Same thing is happening too me. & I don’t know what to do. I’m active in my business. 

bump!

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

The Form 8582 is available for TurboTax Online, however the IRS still has it in draft and for TurboTax CD/Download it was scheduled to be available today.  Give it a little time before trying to file.  

Much appreciated, I was hoping that this was the scenario and that I hadn't encountered a major bug. Thank you for the clarification!

However, my main concern at this point is that I used the online e-file option which says both physical and e-file options are available.

I get the same message for Maryland; however, I don't have any rentals or property so why does this show up???

sincerely wondering the same thing. also in MD without any rental properties and am also having this issue

rickerm

so what happened? when will we be able to e file?? i cant even file my federal

still in same boat same message. its triggering for state portion. don't have any rental properties as well.

I just spent 45 mins on the phone with 2 reps who also were very perplexed about this issue. I too reside in MD and do not own any rental income or otherwise have any condition in which this form applies to me or is required. The reps found the issue is being triggered by a 1099 form; specifically for me a 1099 MISC but not sure if other 1099 forms are also triggering the issue.

The specific form that is not yet available will be available on 2/10; the rep provided me with a link with the schedule of release for certain forms https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_md_online_individual.html

So basically nothing can be done to bypass this until then unfortunately. 

Tjones112
Returning Member

This form doesn’t apply to me but still shows up and no way to delete it…

Tjones112
Returning Member

Thank you for sharing that information. 

According to Intuit Customer Support this is affecting many MD residents . . . you can either wait until 2/10 when the remaining MD forms are released, which may or may not correct the problem. Or 2 days from now, call Customer Support and ask for a service code to transfer your desktop edition, to an online account. These are not reporting to have the same problem as the desktop version of TurboTax. Hope this helps . . .

Unfortunately, the same problem exists with the online version as well.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies