Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Form 8582: Activity Description

He's NOT PUSHING IT TOO MUCH, he's being honest, something Intuit and Turbo Tax have been avoiding. I have been a Turbo Tax user for many years BUT this was the breaking point . . . too many hours of wasted time and MIS-INFORMATION (sounds like the government, hmmmm) . . . something bigger is going on and Intuit isn't winning to admit their mistake. I switched to Tax Act and for the same amount, had my taxes filed, and ACCEPTED by both the Federal and MD governments in under 90 minutes . . . For that alone TAX ACT gets my undying thanks and endorsement . . .

Where are you seeing "view" i cannot see edit or view on the top. I am doing online though. Maybe its not available in online version

Tax Act worked for me as well. No issues. You can efile as well. I will now ask for refund from TT. 

stefonne
Returning Member

yeah, after reading all the posts here, i just went back to Taxact. I used Turbo for 2 years and liked it, but this  problem  [8582] really caused a lot of hassle and no sure outcome. Filed Taxact - Fed and Maryland, accepted both in less than 2 hours. Less than $90. Where are all the software guys from India to fix these problems ?

So glad I found this thread!  Filed my taxes with TurboTax for more than 15 years. Always buying Home and Business.  I spent 4 hours just trying to get the software to install this year and now having the same issues with the Form 8582 that everyone is.  I need form 8582 since I have losses from 2019 I need to account for.

SO SAD that turbotax has become a disaster.  I'll be switching to TaxAct or having an accountant file this week.  Can't wait weeks for TurboTax to get their act together so I can get my refund. 

A very unhappy customer!

EAVILEZ
Returning Member

come on TURBO TAX!

I requested a refund from TurboTax.... signed up for TaxAct and was able to upload last years and have this year's taxes completed and efiled within an hour.

If you want to do the same sign up here and get a discount: https://refer.taxact.com/s/mlotziii

and earn me a referral!

At least I won't be as salty about how much time I wasted trying to use TurboTax this year.

Not sure if this will be helpful, but I just checked with support and they dont know the release date of when this is expected to be fixed. I was able to just file my federal return, and then I can go back in later to finalize MD. When you click on "file a return", it gives you the option to wait until later to file your MD return. 

Taxpayer Ray
Returning Member

TO EVERYONE OUT THERE: 

The solution set forth by "scrogged" absolutely worked!!! 
Thank you, "scrogged", for sharing your discovery of the solution with me. Immediately after implementing the solution, I was able to delete the form and then file my taxes immediately.
YAY, "SCROGGED"!!!!! 

Again, here's the solution set forth by "scrogged": 

"The top tool bar has File, Edit, View, Tools, On-line.

When you get the error about Form 8582, go to View, Forms (not Step-by Step) and it will show you form 8582. Line 9, on mine, had a "$0". I right-clicked, selected "override" and the cell becomes pink or has a red box around it. I changed "$0" to blank and saved. I then got the because, congratulations you have no errors. i hit save and deleted the form.

Hope this helps."

I don't see this option where exactly your are seeing it I have nothing on the top 

WalkerBoh

I was able to get mine filed to the feds and MD last night as well. However, when I saved mine after performing the override, it put the $0 back in there. So, I got out and went back in and did the override again- this time without saving. I hit the CONTINUE button and was able to finish out.

If you don't have a top level menu (i.e. File/Edit/View/Tools, etc.), you probably aren't running Turbo Tax on Windows. My guess is that your choice of using a Mac is key to your demise. Even if you don't have the top level menu, in Windows you can right-click on the 0 on line 9 and the pop-up menu allows you to "Override," which allows you to edit the value and leave it as empty/null. Tab off of that field or click somewhere else to invoke the edits and if you're lucky you'll be clear to continue.

The 8582 for was NOT listed in my forms list- likely because of the error. However, I think it was from the Forms view that I was able to get to the flawed 8582. Above the list of forms were two icons, the right icon looking like some sort of error or stop sign (can't remember and can't get back there now). I clicked on that and was able to get into form 8582 that way.

I didn't PAY Turbo Tax for work arounds, wasted time, and uncertain fixes. INTUIT is over a 150 billion-dollar business that wasn't even willing to admit their software mis-hap. I used Tax Act and in under 2 hours my federal and MD taxes were completed, filed, and accepted by both. Do what you want but I have forwarded 100s of complaints to the BBB and local news network. I'm tired of these mega-companies getting away with this.

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

The description for the workaround above is using the TurboTax desktop version. If you are in the TurboTax online version, you will not have a forms mode.

If this is in your Maryland tax return, our team is working to resolve an error message in some Maryland state returns that give an error message about Form 8582 needing an update, even if there are no passive losses to report.

Please sign up for notifications in this TurboTax Help article.

Notifications Maryland Form 8582 error

If the federal forms are all finalized and it is ready to e-file, you can choose to file just the federal return at this time and have all the TurboTax fees taken out of the federal return, then come back when Maryland is ready and then e-file that return.

1. When you get to the Here are your filing options screen
  2. Select Change next to your state return
  3. On the the Change filing method screen
  4. Select I'm not ready to file
  5. Click Save

Note, if you don't e-file them together, you do have to wait until the federal is accepted before you can e-file the state. Sometimes this takes a day or even two.

Here is a TurboTax Help article with directions for when you return to file your state return.

File State after the Federal is Filed

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
EAVILEZ
Returning Member

no it those options are shown on the side in a mac . the thing form 8582 is not display so you can interact with it at all . 👎

EAVILEZ
Returning Member

that is great and all. however you are telling me that, if you paid for the self-employed version there is no work around? until? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies