turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tcselling11
Returning Member

Do I really need to edit every capital gains line checkbox to say not State MA source for state tax form as non-resident?

Need to file non-resident MA state taxes. I don't need to pay capital gains for non-MA source... so pretty much all capital gains should be excluded.  Seems like turbotax wants me to individually edit each line item and check not MA source.  Will take forever.  Is there not a way to exclude them all at once?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Do I really need to edit every capital gains line checkbox to say not State MA source for state tax form as non-resident?

No. Unfortunately there is no way to exclude all your capital gains en masse. TurboTax does not know what is MA and non-MA income.

You can change your federal entries from individual sales to summarizing each class of transaction (short-term covered, long-term covered, etc.) Then you would have fewer state entries.

You can also transfer your tax file to CD\Desktop. You would still have to exclude individual transactions, but can do so by checking a column of boxes in Forms mode.

Related Resource

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
tcselling11
Returning Member

Seems like will be a lot of work.  Even in the forms mode, I have to scroll down and check each box.  With hundreds of transactions way too much. Also I don't know how I would change the info to summaries since it is imported info.  Anyway, I was thinking of switching from TaxAct to TurboTax but doesn't look like it would be a good fit because of this.  TaxAct is confusing in how to enter the non-MA exclusions but only has me enter totals not messing with every transaction.

tcselling11
Returning Member

Could you add ability to select/checkmark entire column for non-MA with one click?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies