turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jvenusti

I live overseas, but want to use TurboTax to file my taxes. How do I start? TT asks for a state, but there is no option for overseas.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I live overseas, but want to use TurboTax to file my taxes. How do I start? TT asks for a state, but there is no option for overseas.

Are you asking how to answer the screen where it asks "Tell us the state you lived in on December 31, 2015" (state of residence)?

If so, in the dropdown menu there scroll all the way down to the bottom of the menu past Wyoming, and you will see "Foreign or US Possession."   (See screen image #1 below.)

When you get to the mailing address screen, you chose "foreign country" in the dropdown menu for "type of address", and the boxes will reformat so you can select your country, international postal code, etc.  (See screen image #2.)

The phone field on that mailing address screen will only take a USA-formatted phone number, so if you have an international number you may not be able to enter it and can leave it blank.  A phone number is not required to file, and the IRS doesn't phone for initial contact anyway.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Are you asking how to answer the screen where it asks "Tell us the state you lived in on December 31, 2015" (state of residence)?

If so, in the dropdown menu there scroll all the way down to the bottom of the menu past Wyoming, and you will see "Foreign or US Possession."   (See screen image #1 below.)

When you get to the mailing address screen, you chose "foreign country" in the dropdown menu for "type of address", and the boxes will reformat so you can select your country, international postal code, etc.  (See screen image #2.)

The phone field on that mailing address screen will only take a USA-formatted phone number, so if you have an international number you may not be able to enter it and can leave it blank.  A phone number is not required to file, and the IRS doesn't phone for initial contact anyway.
Jonagelo

My electronic filing keeps getting rejected. It says phone not recognized. I've used 10 digit ph from textme app and a friends. Still a no-go.

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for more information about rejected returns and how to fix them:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/how-do-i-fix-a-rejected-return/00/26136

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies