turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2018 State Tax Download Issue for TurboTax Premier+State Mac Software

I recently purchased the digital version of TurboTax Premier+State Mac Software from Amazon.  Unfortunately, the software will not load the state portion of the software.  It continues to prompt me to download the state (of California) software.  It appears to download, but it never loads into the Turbotax software.  I contacted Amazon, but they directed me to contact Intuit, the software creator.  I have also tried to redownload and  reinstall the software, but to no avail.  The problem still persists. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

This CA state program download/install/looping issue appears to be a recently developed issue with Mac users and the CA state download.  There are at least a couple of other threads where 6-7 Mac users have reported trying to download CA state program and are having that problem.  I've reported it to TurboTax and have not heard anything back yet.

Please phone TurboTax Support and ask them to push you the state software download.    Another user reported back that it worked perfectly once Support provided them the software by that method.

You can use the form at the link below to schedule a call back, or it may provide a number. Hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern) Monday-Friday.

Where the form asks what product you are using, be sure in the dropdown menu to indicate "CD/download" and the proper operating system, then indicate which Edition.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

Thanks!

@racent2000   

EDITED to include more info:

I heard back from TurboTax today.   This was a recent issue that was supposed to have been resolved for most Mac users last month in an update.   

A user reported today that the recent program update resolved this issue for him.  So be sure you have the latest program update.   If that doesn't resolve it here are a couple of things to try:

While it can be resolved by phoning Support and getting the state software download, I was informed today that there is something a user can do on their own without phoning Support.  These are the steps I was given for any Mac user to try who is still having the problem in spite of the latest update:

1. Select the Go menu.
  2. Choose Go to Folder.
  3. Enter ~/Library and select Go.
  4. Navigate to the Application Support folder.
  5. Open the TurboTax folder.
  6. Open the forms folder and extract the state zipped folder listed there.
  7. Once completed, relaunch TurboTax.

So based on those steps, it sounds like the state program was not being extracted.    So if updating your program with the latest update doesn't resolve it,  one may wish to try that and see if that will avoid the hassle of phoning Support.

Have the same issue for Mass state software.    Any fix yet?

@stevezoll1 wrote:

Have the same issue for Mass state software.    Any fix yet?

So are you having the same issue as the threadowner where you try to install the state software to being preparing your state return but involved in a loop that won't let you install and start the state return?   If so, see if this FAQ addresses your issue:

FAQ:  State loop indicates TurboTax is "up to date" after updating, but won't allow you to start your state software

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/state-loop-indicates-turbotax-is-up-to-date-after-...

NOTE:  If your state update loop occurs when efiling the finished MA return, then that's a different issue.  If you have finished the MA state return but having an update loop when trying to efile then report back.

jj1100
Returning Member

I have the exact same issue. I recently re-installed turbotax 2018 on my Mac. I get an error when attempting to download CA state. I am not able to open my 2018 tax form due this issue. I talked to Support, they were not able to give me the state download. They said it was no longer supported?

@jj1100 wrote:

I have the exact same issue. I recently re-installed turbotax 2018 on my Mac. I get an error when attempting to download CA state. I am not able to open my 2018 tax form due this issue. I talked to Support, they were not able to give me the state download. They said it was no longer supported?

TurboTax does not support tax years prior to tax year 2020

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies