turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jmseals89

What if I dont have a Drivers License or State ID for e-file my taxes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaT

In most states,  entering the drivers license or ID is recommended but not required. 

In an effort to help protect your identity and fight tax Fraud, the IRS and State tax offices are now asking that tax filers provide their driver’s license or state issued ID number. This step is not required in order to file your taxes, for most states, but could help speed up the processing of your return and will not affect your return’s submission. Omitting any of this information may delay return and refund processing.

States such as Illinois and Alabama do require an ID to be provided in order to e-file this year.

For additional information, you can view the IRS information on the New Security Safeguards. or to see if your state is participating, please contact your state revenue agency.

View solution in original post

28 Replies
themacs

It won't let me bypass the information. How about using a PassPort?

My elderly mother gave up her license (NY) and does not have as state ID. Now she cannot file her taxes! If there is a way to bypass by leaving it blank, it is still NOT working, since Turbotax still does NOT let us leave it blank! Is there not a software update that will fix this?? (Deluxe edition.) Please help! She does have a Passport and a Nexus card, which otherwise should be sufficient ID! Also this is NOT supposed to be required on the Federal return -- but it is on Turbotax this year, and does not work if one has no NY driver license. (This seems very sloppy programming: to have completed a return only not to be able to file it, without any good reason.)

My problem also, spanielxing but in PA.  She does not owe anything nor is she due a refund.  What if I just print it and mail it and sign it as her POA?

I decided to bag Turbo Tax and e-file on the PA Dept of Revenue site.

You don't need a drivers license to file - it is totally optional. You see, they just want to trick you into giving you that information because they can use it to make money for themselves and potentially take advantage of you in the future. This is what large American corporations do - it is just one of the many ways that they stay wealthy without actually doing any real work like the poor 99% have to do to earn a buck. Of course do not give them this info. It is 100% unnecessary, and the fact that they would ask for it at all is truly scandalous. 
RebeccaT

In most states,  entering the drivers license or ID is recommended but not required. 

In an effort to help protect your identity and fight tax Fraud, the IRS and State tax offices are now asking that tax filers provide their driver’s license or state issued ID number. This step is not required in order to file your taxes, for most states, but could help speed up the processing of your return and will not affect your return’s submission. Omitting any of this information may delay return and refund processing.

States such as Illinois and Alabama do require an ID to be provided in order to e-file this year.

For additional information, you can view the IRS information on the New Security Safeguards. or to see if your state is participating, please contact your state revenue agency.

egrav

Does not tell me how to by-pass this "optional" requirement and still file my taxes
RebeccaT

You don't have to do anything special as a by-pass.  Simply leave that field blank.
slim439

does not allow you to leave it blank

Turbo Tax does not let you pass the entry page. You have to enter a driver's license or id!!
terfmop

same problem with 2016 year  filing. When will they fix this?

I agree with slim439 and steveresser. Turbo Tax should fix this soon. My GA  tax return for 2016 was rejected because my spouse did not have a driver's license or a state ID. And then next day went and got a state ID for my spouse and e-filed again. But it was rejected again for the same reason!! I don't understand it.
wanconm

the years before I had a tax guy do it and he efiled....but TT can't....hmmmm

Dear Turbotax: for over two years people have been asking how to proceed when you don't have a driver's license or state ID to enter. The only reply from Turbotax was above, two years ago, from Rebecca T who said "simply leave that field blank". This is wrong. Turbotax doesn't allow you to leave it blank. Will you please either 1) fix the problem or 2) advise how to work around it. And do it now!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies