turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

What if I dont have a Drivers License or State ID for e-file my taxes

@steven.brook There are a couple of states that DO require entry of a driver's license # or other state ID.  If a user does not have the required ID, they can still print and mail the return.  See the information linked below regarding the requirement.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4879130">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4879130</a>
*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

This TurboTax FAQ applies specifically to the Alabama requirement:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5347533">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5347533</a>
*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
bill62

I had lost my job and had to move out of my apartment. My state Id as long with my birth certificate had gotten lost during moving my stuff out of the apartment. I've just received my income taxes from work. Can I still file my income taxes without an state Id?

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you can file your taxes without an ID.  The IRS and State tax offices are now asking that tax filers provide their driver’s license or state-issued ID number  to help prevent identity theft and fraud, but it is not required in order to file your taxes, for most states, 

Please click this IRS link to learn more about  New Security Safeguards. or to see if your state is participating, 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Tonio876

I don't have any state Id nor driver's licenses, can I file my taxes with my passport 

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

A driver's license is not required for filing the federal return, but some states require it.

See Why are you asking for my driver’s license or state ID?

@Tonio876

bdeblock1

That is optional depending on the state you live in.  I filed this year with turbotax and my wife had lost her drivers license.  I left the space blank and was able to file.  Of course it has slowed up my return i believe.

My wife does not have a state ir drivers license 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

As noted above the feds and most states do not require a drivers license number or state id number. However, some states do, like Illinois.

If you don't have a state return or believe that your state does not require this information to e-file, then keep proceeding, leaving the field blank, and if TurboTax asks for it again, try again to proceed - eventually TurboTax should let you file.

If TurboTax just won't let you e-file, please come back and tell us what state you are trying to file.

SVJC
Returning Member

Where can I get my Lic. cone

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It is not necessary to provide a Driver's license or ID to electronic file your return. It is just an added layer protection just in case if there is fraudulent activity on your account.

I don’t have a I’d 

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

The ID or Driver's License just adds a layer of protection to your return.  This is not required information, depending on your state.  For more details on this, please see this Help Article.  

You CAN bypass the drivers license requirement by stating you don't have one, AND most importantly, scroll to the top of the state of issue box where there's a blank and select the BLANK.

Of course some states may actually require it, as others have stated. I have to wonder why Intuit makes it so hard to opt out. Selling our data?

I hope this helps.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies