Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Horribly confusing message attempting to efile an amended return

I have the misfortune of having to amend my 2022 federal and California tax returns, both of which were originally e-filed. I completed the process of amending my returns, passed the checks and am ready to file. I get to a screen that says "Nicely done! Just 3 things to go", listing:

Step 1: save your amended returns (which I do)

Step 2: Print and mail your amended returns, other than California.

Step 3: Efile your amended California return.

Why is it not letting me efile the federal return? The odd thing is that when I print "returns for filing", the instructions for the federal return indicate that I am efiling it!

Boldly proceeding to the next screen, I get a message "E-filing is Closed for the Season. TurboTax e-filing closed for the tax season on October 16, 2023". This makes sense for original returns, but does not apply to amended returns!

Boldly proceeding to the next screen again, I get a message "How do you want to file? E-file or mail?". It doesn't indicate whether this applies to federal or California or both. I select E-file. Next I get a screen giving me a choice of e-filing either or both returns.

Next it asks me whether to pay by direct debit or mailing a check. But the explanation again seems to assume this is an original, not an amended, return.

This is all terribly confusing!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

53 Replies

Sorry you can not efile a prior year amended return with Turbo Tax.  You have to print and mail it.  Ignore all those messages.  

Go by the actual 1040X.  Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 22 should be your additional refund.  If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16.  If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.

If you have a tax due, do not send the 1040V.  Just include a check with the 1040X.  Ignore the 1040V.  That is for the original return or what the original return would have been if it didn’t need correcting.  Don’t pay the amount on the 1040V.  Pay the amount on the actual 1040X line 20.

Or You can pay the IRS directly at

Https://www.irs.gov/payments

Why do you say you cannot e-file an amended 2022 return with the 2022 version of TurboTax?

See the TurboTax support article "Can I e-file my federal Form 1040-X amended return?", where it says you can.

This one?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-...

Right now currently you can not efile any returns with Turbo Tax. Maybe when the IRS opens efiling in late January you can efile a prior year amended return.

Well, after clicking "Transmit" it tells me e-filing (even of amended returns) for 2022 is not supported after October 16.

OK...What is the status of the e-filing?

Click on File at the top left of the desktop program screen.  Click on Electronic Filing>Check Electronic Filing Status

@phraxos wrote:

Why do you say you cannot e-file an amended 2022 return with the 2022 version of TurboTax?

See the TurboTax support article "Can I e-file my federal Form 1040-X amended return?", where it says you can.

Every state plus the federal government have different rules for e-filing availability.  The only thing we can say for sure is that as of today, the entire IRS e-filing system is shut down for everyone, including professionals, because they have to reprogram it for the 2023 rules and forms.

When the IRS opens e-filing in January, it is unclear to me if you will be able to file an amended return with Turbotax.  While Turbotax can only e-file original returns for the current season (which will be 2023), they might be able to e-file prior year amended returns, or the message might change.  In past years, amended returns could not be e-filed after October 15 of the same year, but the IRS is pushing to have fewer paper returns, so they may have expanded what can be filed online.

You will have to decide whether to print and file by mail now, or wait until mid-January when the IRS opens e-filing for the season and see if you can file the amended return electronically.  

It is now clear that efiling amended returns won't work until at least January.  However, this leaves two problems:

1. TurboTax messages and instructions about availability of e-filing amended returns are incorrect, contradictory and misleading. I would like to hear from TurboTax staff that they recognize this and will fix it!!

2. Why can't TurboTax tell me now whether e-filing amended returns will be permitted again in January?

TurboTax delays its own amended return processing for some time after IRS opens for 1040 e-File.

The issue is whether a 2022 Form 1040-X will e-File.

At this time you cannot efile any amended returns (fed or state) so print them, ink sign them then put them in the mail. 

At this time TT has not issued any information about being able to efile any prior year amended returns. 

In mid to late February the option to efile 2023 amended returns will be available until the efiling season ends in October. 

Hi there!

I've been reading through the thread and can I ask whether you are using Online or Desktop for you amended return? Additionally, which version (Desktop or Online) did you originally efile with?

The preparation and efiling of the original return, and the preparation and attempted efiling of the amended return were all done with the 2022 Mac desktop version of TurboTax.

Based on this response, the prior replies in the thread are correct. You will need to file using a paper form, as Federal efiling is not currently available until January due to the IRS shutting down the efiling system in preparation for the next filing year. We can submit to having the wording of this less ambiguous in our content going forward.

Thank you for your commitment to addressing the problem.

You reiterated that one cannot e-file an amended return until January. However that is coming soon. Will I be able to e-file a 2022 amended return once e-filing opens in January? That is still not clear to me.

Yes, you should be able to efile the amended 2022 return in January. If you are seeing an issue at that stage, I encourage you to contact customer support directly to troubleshoot and report the issue.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies