Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dependts already filed

Hello I filed my taxes with u in the beginning of the month and of course they were rejected because someone claimed my son I contacted the irs and sent all documentation of my transcript and proof that he lives with me only problem is I still have yet to hear back what happen when someone else claims my child do I not get my refund ? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Dependts already filed

If you have the right to claim your son as a dependent, you can claim your son on your tax return but you cannot e-file. You'll have to print and mail your tax return.

The IRS will write to you and the other person claiming your son asking for proof of dependency and will decide based on the proof that each party will provide. When the problem is resolved, you will get your refund if your claim if justified.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Dependts already filed

Which I already sent all the information so why havent they responded? 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Dependts already filed

I'm not sure from what you posted, but it sounds like your dependent filed and maybe claimed themselves?  Now your are trying to file and getting a reject saying your dependent was already a primary taxpayer on another return?

Unfortunately you will need to file a paper return because there is no way to get around the e-file system once your dependent has already filed and claimed themselves.  Paper file with your dependent included on your return.

This article will give instruction on how to print and mail your return.

Your dependent will need to amend their return to indicate someone else is claiming them.

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending.

Dependts already filed

What I'm saying is I already paper filed and sent paperwork to the department of treasury. my dependent is only 5 . I think his father claimed him some how but doesn't not live or take care of him.  I'm asking how long will it be until the irs reaches back out to me ? A month?

Dependts already filed

@Romam101  wrote:

I'm asking how long will it be until the irs reaches back out to me ? A month?

If two taxpayers claimed the same child the IRS will send letters to both taxpayers.

That usually takes place in about year to a year an a half.   The IRS does not even start matching returns until after the extended due date in October to give taxpayers a chance to amend if they filed incorrectly.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Dependts already filed

It's hard to say how long it will take the IRS to respond to you.  I would guess at least a month - which in IRS terms is not a long time.  Only the IRS can say for sure.  You can contact them:

Before you call, make sure you know or have the following information handy:

• Social Security cards and birth dates for those who were on the return you are calling about
  • An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) letter if you don’t have a Social Security number (SSN)
  • Filing status – Single, Head of Household, Married Filing Joint or Married Filing Separate
  • Your prior-year tax return. We may need to verify your identity before answering certain questions
  • A copy of the tax return you’re calling about
  • Any letters or notices we sent you

IRS phone numbers

Customer service representatives are available Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time, unless otherwise noted. Residents of Alaska and Hawaii follow Pacific time. Puerto Rico phone lines are open 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. local time.

Individuals:

800-829-1040

Businesses:

800-829-4933

People with hearing impairments:

800-829-4059 (TDD) See Tax Topic 102.

Exempt organizations, retirement plan administrators, and government:

877-829-5500 (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. local time)

Estate and gift:

866-699-4083 (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Eastern time; Forms 706 United States Estate (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return and 709, United States Gift (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return only)

Excise tax function:

866-699-4096 (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern time)

If you live outside the United States

Hours of availability vary by location. Please see our International Services page.

Face-to-face assistance

In certain areas, the IRS has local offices you may visit to receive assistance. All offices operate by appointment.

Dependts already filed

Everytime I've called  they dont say much  . Can I make a in person appointment or that doesn't matter ? Idk how someone is able to claim my dependent and I get an error on mines . How do ik if they receive my information 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Dependts already filed

You need to verify that your documents were received. Once the IRS determines that you are the rightful person to claim them, they will process your return.

Going in person won't be a huge help as others are involved and it is complicated. It could get them to expedite your part. If they are waiting on responses from others, imagine giving them 30 days to send information and then processing it.

If you mailed your return and all the documents, you just have to wait. You can check Where's My Refund?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies