LarryD12c

Why am I being asked to activate Turbo Tax after I have already completed my return and received my refund? I no longer have the code. Need help unlocking MY copy of TT.

mesquitebean

Since you mention a license code, I presume you are using desktop TurboTax (CD/download).    Underneath your question above it says "Online TurboTax."

If you are using desktop software, are you launching your software, and TurboTax is asking you to activate with the license code again?     If so, below I've mentioned a common cause for that and how to correct.  It may be related to a USB or SD device you're using.

"I no longer have the code"
We might be able to tell you how to get it, but we don't know if you purchased a CD or a download, and we don't know who you purchased it from.   You may not need it right now if the info below solves your reactivation issue.

If TurboTax software is asking you to reactivate, here's a possible cause:

It can often be due to a USB drive or device that has changed since you installed TurboTax, such as a thumb drive, other external drive, USB printer, etc.

If you have a USB drive/device plugged into a USB port at the same time you are launching TurboTax, then unplug (or turn off) the USB drive/device, and then try launching the TurboTax program again. See if that solves the problem.    Or try it the other way around. i.e., if you had a USB drive/device plugged in initially when you installed TurboTax originally, but don't now, then plug that USB drive/device back in and try.

It can work both ways depending on what the system config was like at initial activation.

That happened to me one day when I forgot I had a USB thumb drive plugged in.  TurboTax asked me to reactivate, but once I removed the thumb drive, TurboTax launched normally.

Another user reported it can also happen if one inserts one of those tiny SD memory cards after activation, or the other way around if there was one inserted at the time of initial activation.

LarryD12c

Thanks for the quick response - really appreciate it. This was a desktop download purchased from Best Buy. I am not aware of any PC plug-ins that have changed but will consider. Crazy - I have been a TT user for over 20 years and have NEVER had to reactivate the program.

I assume at some point if I am unable to fix the problem that Intuit will unlock it for me. I can certainly document that it was previously activated and used to prepare three returns - one of which I may need to refile.

LarryD12c

These suggestions didn't help, but luckily I was able to get Best Buy to resend my original activation email. Lesson learned - always keep the activation code.

reygcarolina

If the Turbo Tax software design is the way it is described here (IE: with some type of dependencies with your system attached USB device inter alia) then do not buy Turbo Tax software anymore... ever! 

kenheyden

This type of activation is insane and I also will look at another program, this company is beyond paranoid, even Microsoft activation does not look if the USB key was inserted at the time of install.

apache42

Unfortunately, even the older TurboTax desktop installs are now requiring constant re-activation as well.  A major PITA. I discovered this when firing up 2019 TurboTax (which is installed on a different PC) to check something. 

Gnart

Got the same problem as I needed to use TT2019 to get some info. This will be my last Turbo Tax..

reygcarolina

TurboTax is probably one of the worst software license that exists out there. You already paid for the software and registered your license and yet they want you to pay for another license again when comes a time you want to load the software again. Piece of trash. 

mesquitebean

@ Gnart wrote:

And @ reygcarolina 

TT2019 was the first product that required a license activation code.   If you need help getting a license code, phone TurboTax Support for assistance as indicated below.   If necessary, or if you want to provide feedback/complain to higher-ups, I will also tell you how to email Intuit Corporate about their license code mechanism.   Various license code-related problems are some of the more common issues people seek help with in the forum.

Support hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern), 7 days/week

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

If you want to contact the Intuit Corporate office, you can go to the page below. Just below the page's large title, you'll see a screen-wide blue banner that prominently says:

"Do you have a question, concern, or feedback about an Intuit product or service?"

There is a "Send an email" link with an arrow.  It goes to a designated person in the office of the president of Intuit, and they supposedly will assign it to the right team for review.

NOTE:  Do NOT send any sensitive personal data since that is regular email--not secure email.

https://www.intuit.com/company/executives/